Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Narrow Gate

by Justin

So I was wondering how are we suppose to make life decisions in light of being Christians and being in this world? I feel like I work hard to spend time in prayer, in the Bible and in contemplation. Yet I still don't know how we are to KNOW the right path to take. I guess I am really not asking for any comments, as much as laying out thoughts in my head.

In college I heard many great speakers. Few, if any, really stick in my head, but one has remained through the years. I can't remember her name, only that she was a new regional director for IVCF in Texas and she was from Colorado. She gave a great talk over Mathew 7:13:
"Enter through the narrow gate, for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it."
Her talk was a great illustration of what the path of the narrow gate would look like in contrast to the wide gate many follow. She talked of how worn and easy the wide path would be, worn down as it would by the many people. She related the narrow path to hard walking across unfamiliar and lonely places with a few people. Best of all she drew a great picture of how the world might just walk through the wide gate because 'that is just the way everyone is going, we should go with the flow'. The world doesn't stop to truly consider the narrow gate and its path.

She, in true IV fashion, ended with a challenge as college students to stop and consider our paths as we trudge around campus. She was trying to warn us to live our lives as Christians and be wary of the world and its mentality of the wide path. For some reason, and often for good ones, I think about that picture a lot in my head.

I think of the paths. I think of the narrow gate. I wonder if it is rusted shut or takes a shove to get through it. I think how easy the wide gate would be. I bet someone has propped it open with a rock, making an the path even easier.

More than anything I wonder if I have already passed the gate and am down the wrong path...

4 comments:

TheLudlows said...

Patty Pell

Unknown said...

I too actually remember that talk as well. Not sure why. I remember her describing the rocky and rough path that is the narrow gate.

How strange we both remember that!

TreyJ said...

I think the fact that you even take the time to consider your last sentence speaks volumes. Granted, I don't spend time with you daily and know everything about you, but the fact that you even challenge yourself that way tells me that if you aren't on the right path right now, you will be soon.

Viki said...

I agree with Trey, but that's probably not the kind of comment you're looking for. If you think you might be on the wrong path, why? What could you be doing better?

I know that there are things all of us do that are less than completely selfless, or that could be considered the easy way out - think about times like that and how you could make a choice better than the one you made. No one can be perfect all of the time, but we can all try...