Monday, November 03, 2008

Mondays

by Justin

So you may or may not know that I work four ten hour days each week and have Mondays off to spend it with Eli. Honestly four ten hour days are grueling. I leave the house at 5:15 in the morning to get to work by 6 and leave work at 5 to get home in the neighborhood of 6:15. It is unfortunate that in this scenario I miss absolutely every stick of traffic in the morning, only to be in the thick of it in the afternoon. Catch me any day but Friday afternoon and I will tell you that it is absolutely worth it to spend my Mondays with my son.

What does a typical Monday entail, you ask? Well I am glad you did.

Most Mondays are spent around the house. We wake up and have our bottle. We bug Mommy in her office a little bit and then have our Breakfast. Hopefully we will spend some time playing on the floor and getting into things before our mid morning nap. After nap we try to get outside and take a walk. Then come back for lunch. About twice a month I meet a friend (Rene for those who know him) for lunch somewhere in McKinney or Allen. We have a good time then head hope for hopefully our afternoon nap. We bug mom some more to get through with her work so we can have some family play time and so I can take a child break. Then it is our normal nighttime routine of dinner, play, bath, play, book, bottle, then bed.

Often the schedule changes with things that come up. For example, today we ran a few errands to the AT&T store, The Home Depot and to get my pickup washed (or warshed). Sometimes we try to help mom out and get some of her things done. Other times we just do what we want.

I have learned a few things about my Mondays. One, I could not be a stay at home dad. I would go crazy. I would weigh 300+ pounds. I would not love my child well. Two, Holly is a saint to balance work and mom so well. Seriously, where does she get that energy and zest from? She never seems to want a day of from being a parent like I do! Finally, all the tiredness from work is worth it to have a quality time day (mostly) alone with my son.

Time for bed! Eli went to sleep at 6:15 tonight and hasn't quite learned what daylight savings time is all about. Could be an early morning tomorrow!

4 comments:

Viki said...

Sounds like Mondays are fun, even if they are busy. I hope Eli wasn't up too early this morning!

aimee said...

I think that is awesome Justin.

H Noble said...

Actually, we checked on Eli before we went to bed around 11pm and found him asleep in a pool of throw-up. Yeah. We stripped him and the bed and rebathed him. He didn't have any idea what was going on and thought it was time to wake up and play.

Very short night...

Oh, and thank you for the kind words and recognition Honey. I appreciate that.

H Noble said...

And Justin is a great dad and does very well with Eli on their special days. (Don't tell him, but I don't mind one bit them bugging me in the office!)

Mondays may be my favorite day of the week!