Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Parental Motivation

Although I consider myself to be a clean, organized and generally motivated housekeeper, I find myself in a tornado of anxiety and list- making when my parents come to visit. Let me clarify that- when my mom comes to visit.

My mom is probably the best housekeeper this side of the Mississippi... well, perhaps in the whole country. She panics if there is an inkling of dust or my dad tracks one tiny clod of mud into the house. And don't even get her started on the bathrooms. I'm definitely not saying that this is bad; I've always appreciated her cleanliness and being able to find things in our house.

Needless to say, I've inherited some of her habits and compulsions. Justin would call them obsessions. Since marrying him, I have actually been known to leave a pair of shoes in the living room overnight, and perhaps even a dish or two in the sink for more than 10 minutes. I'm making a concerted effort not to drive my husband to the looney bin.

Well... my parents are coming to visit this weekend. Some of you may know that we painted our bathroom in FEBRUARY. Guess what I've had Justin doing after work the past couple of evenings? That's right- finishing the paint touch-ups around the ceiling. I could just hear my mom saying, "You mean to tell me you let people see your bathroom without the paint being finished?" Well, I'm not giving her the chance. Our to-do list before Friday afternoon also includes such things as: buying new pillows for the guest room (remember a few postings back about the Guest Room!), pulling grass around the trees in the front yard and deep cleaning the laundry room/Trigger's pooper area. Sure, these things have needed attention before now, but there's nothing like hearing your mom's voice filled with disappointment. Perhaps we will have a little energy left to actually enjoy the weekend with them.

We won't tell her that I had Justin research Betty Crocker's Cookbook to learn how to boil an egg! That's a whole different ballgame!

So, here's to clean houses and happy mothers!
H

14 comments:

Viki said...

When I was growing up you could eat off the floor in my mother's house. After my dad passed away (I was 13), it all went south. I think for a while it was because she was depressed, and after that she must've just thought that there were more important things in life.

Now things are generally clean, but there's clutter everywhere, so if my mother ever comes over when our apartment is a mess she hardly has room to talk! I still have pretty high standards, though, which will relax depending on how much time I have.

ArmandII said...

As far as cleaning goes, I have to be motivated by company. in fact I was just telling Jelaine today that I needed to have some company this weekend so I would want to clean the house. Without her around, keeping up with our house is pretty tough.
As for the eggs, I make a mean boiled egg. Bring enough water to a rolling boilto completely submerge the eggs. Then lower the eggs in with a spoon. Boil for 13 minutes. Remove immediately, add cool water to pot until eggs are handleable, then peel. Works every time. :-)

Kilroy was here!

H Noble said...

Sounds good. Betty Crocker says to put the eggs in the room temperature water, then bring it to a boil. When it starts boiling, take the pan off the heat and let it sit for 18 minutes. Then rinse in cold water. I think they are perfect!
To each their own. This way is easy though since you don't have to put the eggs into boiling water.
Anyone else have a boiled egg method?
H

H Noble said...

By the way, I bought new pillows last night, for the guest bedroom AND our bedroom. Nice!
H

TreyJ said...

I usually burn boiled eggs...


Ok, not really.

Viki said...

Trey I've never seen you even try to make hardboiled eggs. Then again, I've never mad them either...

ArmandII said...

Hard boiled eggs sounds really good right now. I'll give your way a shot, H. I'll let you know if I am successfull. :-)

Kilroy was here!

H Noble said...

I am so relieved to hear that we aren't the only people that don't make boiled eggs. We're normal J!
H

TreyJ said...

Can't stand them....yuck!

I like mine good and fried, or scrambled...or benedict, if I'm feeling snooty!

H Noble said...

How often do you feel snooty Trey?

J

H Noble said...

I've never had eggs benedict. I can't get past the description on the menu. I guess I don't have "snooty" in me. Maybe working at a wine shop does that to you! Just kiddin' Trey!
H

Tom said...

OK sounds like you got boiled eggs covered, now on to pancakes and mashed potatoes!!??

Viki said...

H - you don't know what you're missing. The Benedict variety is great!

mrscoutmaster said...

Boiled eggs? None for me... Scrambled all the way. Holley when we come, do not worry about cleaning.lol. A house is supposed to look lived in.And isn't there always supposed to be at least one pair of shoes out?