Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Household Mysteries

I'm sure you've all had experience with the disappearing sock in the washer and/or dryer, but has anyone heard of this...

Although I'm not the most thrifty of persons (I find clipping coupons a hassle and don't see the overall reward), I do try to stretch some household items a little longer than they may have originally lasted. Take the bar of soap in the shower, for example. Sure, it may be annoying to try to get a few suds out of a paper thin bar, but it can be done. I got in the shower the other day to find, that's right, no soap! Now, I know when I took a shower the day before, the bar was getting small, but it had a good two to three days left. I was truly puzzled. So, I washed with the shower gel and then later quizzed my husband as to this curious disappearance of the soap.

Any guesses? Yes, he had stuffed the soap down the drain to make a point that he will not use paper-flake soap and that we can in fact afford a new bar. Now, if I try to stretch the bar a little longer, he says, "I'll put it down the drain. You know I will."

So I ask you all, where does this rank when compared with not replacing the toilet paper roll? Is there some grand master list out there of household sins?

H

12 comments:

H Noble said...

Well we CAN afford it. Becareful guys, she is dragging you into our 'household sins' discussion. We all know I am right.

J

TreyJ said...

I would agree that the toilet paper thing is bad, but you said yourself there was still shower gel available, so what's the big deal?

Viki said...

The toilet paper thing ranks among those things that are unforgivable. I mean, if you leave another roll out but don't put it in the holder, Ok, but if you just don't leave any paper it's quite another, especially if there isn't any Kleenex in the bathroom. (People at work do this all the time and it drives me nuts - can you tell?)

On the soap, I would agree with Trey - there was gel in the shower, so it's not like he was leaving you in the lurch.

H Noble said...

I can't even remember the last time I left the roll empty. As I recall someone else left it empty last time. I agree that one should NOT leave it with the glued on square.

J

H Noble said...

I didn't say you were the one leaving the empty toilet paper roll, but we're not talking about me. Besides, you can reach the extra rolls from the toilet. You cannot, however, reach an extra bar of soap from the shower!

Shower get is not the same! I must be the only person who uses different types of soap for different body parts and different moods! Besides, you're missing the point- he stuffed it down the drain!
H

H Noble said...

I didn't stuff it. I dropped in on the drain then smashed it through the holes with my heal. I then used the butt end of YOUR razor to poke the remaining through the holes, as to avoid a shower overflow.

H Noble said...

Nice, now my razor is going to have some funk off of the shower floor.
Does anyone else have household mysteries to share?
H

aimee said...

Holly, I will take your side, sort of...

First, I use soap AND shower gel, so leaving me without soap would not be good. But Seth is good about getting a new bar.

However, I do not like to use paper thin bars. Seth will use it until it is completely gone, but I love using a new big bar of soap. Heck, if I could use a new bar every day, I would.

What I want to know is how do you get your husband to open the dishwasher and actually put the dirty bowl into it? Big mystery...

Viki said...

I just wanted to chime in again - Trey is awesome at helping out around the house. Lately he's done more than I have, actually...

I am not going to comment any more on the soap - J & H, I think that's your argument.

Abbey said...

I agree with the toilet paper thing. One of our weekly discussions around here. Aimee, when you figure out the dishwasher thing let me know...you wouldn't think it's that hard! :)

H Noble said...

Well, it was a long road, but Justin will put his dishes in the dishwasher, sometimes. If he doesn't though, he is good about putting water in them in the sink.

After much frustration, one day I said, "Justin, I cook the meal, set the table, clean up the meal and pack your lunch for the next day. How hard is it to put your plate in the dishwasher?" It worked.

Something I have to remind myself of is that his mom didn't have a dishwasher and that by taking his plate to the sink, he had done his job.

Good luck ladies!
H

Anonymous said...

soulution to the paper thin soap and no waste taught to me by my wonderful mother...get out the new bar, get it damp and stick the paper thin one to it...nothing wasted, no more use of the paper thin soap!!! Hope this helps!!!
Greatly enjoyed reading it though!!