Tuesday, September 26, 2006

National "Whatever" Day

By Holly

At least once a week on the radio, I hear that that day is proclaimed National [insert your favorite culture/animal/laundry soap/you get my point] Day and we are to celebrate. I don’t know who comes up with these or why, but if they make me laugh or appreciate something in my life, I try to participate. Well, yesterday as I was driving to work I heard that it was National Pancake Day. Seriously?

I don’t normally buy breakfast in our cafeteria, but yesterday I was running late and actually had some cash on me, so I did. What did I order? Pancakes, of course. I was met however in true Seinfeld fashion with, “No pancake today! Come back tomorrow!” What? Did they not get the memo? What good is National Power-of-Persuasion day if its not publicized? So, I defaulted to my usual: two scrambled eggs (which is essentially two ice cream scoops of eggs) and two pieces of wheat toast, no butter. I could have done that myself, Radio People!

It gets better though. This morning I was again running late and still had a couple of bucks, so I indulged in cafeteria breakfast again. As luck would have it, I got the same lady. She remembered that I ordered a pancake yesterday and asked if I wanted one today. I appreciate the sentiment, however the moment has passed. To celebrate my triumph over said persuasion though, I changed up my order. I’ll have one egg, one sausage patty and one biscuit, thank you!

Now I declare this National Hug Your Fish Day!
Have a good one!

10 comments:

Abbey said...

How dare they not have pancakes!! I too find it amazing that there is a day for everything! Teresa always sends me emails for National "whatever" Day. I'll pass them on next time I get one!

H Noble said...

I am glad it is hug your Fishes Day. The Fishes are very glad, I asked them.

J

aimee said...

Last Tuesday was National Talk Like a Pirate Day. Aarr mateys...who comes up with this malarky?

Do you think pirates say "malarky"?

H Noble said...

I heard that on the radio about the National Talk Like a Pirate Day! I immediately said Arrggh! and then promptly forgot about it though. Crazy stuff!
I'll bet they don't say malarky- a little school-girlish for them probably. (Like "whoopsy-daisies" in Notting Hill!)
H

ArmandII said...

Ok, so I know I am a day late, but I decided I would celebrate hug your fish day today. So, I did...well kind of. I gave them zuchini and ran them around the tank with an RC submarine. I mean, I know its not really a hug, but how many people do you know that can actually play with thier fish? I CAN! :-)

Kilroy was here!

H Noble said...

Good for you Armand! Thanks for the participation!
H

TreyJ said...

I was gonna say something about Talk Like a Pirate day, but Aimee beat me to the punch. Arrgh! The guys who came up with it have a website that tells the whole story about how it started. Kinda fun.

Viki said...

I don't know about hugging fishes - I mean, call me a princess but I don't think getting wet, slimey, and stinkey would be much fun. I like Armand's idea, though. I'm sure that made the fish smile - maybe we could call it National Make Your Fish Smile Day.

H Noble said...

What's the website Trey?

TreyJ said...

Ugh...it's called "Google," try it sometime! :-)

www.talklikeapirate.com