Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Music City USA

By Justin

So it was time to get out of town. Mom’s birthday was on Friday and she said she wanted to leave town. One of the extended benefits of my employment at Southwest Airlines is that my parents can fly for free as well. Flying free is not as simple as it sounds and there are plenty of risks of being stranded, so it is not for the faint of heart. Thankfully Holly and I have done it enough to be quasi experts, so it was time to explain the ropes to my parents.

I knew that my Mom had a fear of flying, but it had not clicked in my head that my Dad has only been on one round trip flight in his life. I had forgotten that fact, so it was fun to watch him rediscover the flying public in a post 9-11 world all over again. We had decided to hit the open skys to Nashville, Music City USA.

We left Love Field at 5 and connected through Houston, (freakin Wright Amendment). We landed in Nashville about 10 and jumped in our rent car and headed to the Holiday Inn. Good thing I got a discount on our rooms, because they weren’t worth what they were asking.

We got up early the next morning and headed to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. It was good food. We then jumped over to tour the OpryLand Hotel. It is a pretty amazing building. We then tried to find our way to a plantation home. On our very prolonged route we stumbled across a botanical garden that we had wanted to see, so we stopped. It was a very nice place, we were just out of season. We never found that Plantation

Afterwards we stopped at Subway for lunch and went downtown to see the Country Music Hall of Fame. I enjoyed our brief time there, if for nothing else the building is amazing. We ran to the hotel to clean up and headed to dinner before the 9:30 opry. For dinner we ate at a restaurant called Aquarium. It has this huge aquarium in the middle with sharks, stingrays, and a bunch of fish in it. It is a very cool environment, a very not so cool price.

I have to admit here that the Grand Ole Opry is probably my favorite thing to do in Nashville. It is well worth the $34 for two and half hours of entertainment for me. It is just plain old fun in my opinion. No big names were at the opry that night, but I didn’t care.

We got to the hotel around 1am. We woke up the next morning and headed back to downtown to visit the Ryman Auditorium. It is the original home of the Grand Ole Opry. An amazing building as well, we spent as much time as we could there till we had to head to the airport.

We got home to Dallas Love Field around 6. It was time enough to say our goodbyes and go our separate ways to our far off homes. We had a great time with my Mom and Dad, and hope this is the start of many more flights to far off places with the fam.

8 comments:

H Noble said...

Ok. You know I have to qualify some of the things J writes. By "no big names" at the Opry, he's leaving out Bill Anderson, Little Jimmie Dickens, Connie Smith, Jean Shepard, The Del McCoury band... Maybe he just meant noone big time right now.
We had a great time!

And the Aquarium: fabulous food! I had the best salmon I believe I have ever had. I ordered the surf 'n turf so it came with a small sirloin, also very good, a side of wild rice and a skewer of grilled veggies. There couldn't have been a better combo on the menu. Fabulous- that's what I say.
All in all, a great trip.
H

aimee said...

Glad y'all had a great time! Sounds fun!

TreyJ said...

Since you were at the aquarium, perhaps your dinner swam by before you ordered it...

H Noble said...

The waiter actually made it a point to tell us that none of the items in the tanks were on the menu. He also said that the divers make the fish fast on Tuesdays, so occasionaly an unsuspecting diner will get to witness a smaller fish taking one for the team!
H

Viki said...

Very cool - I want to go to the Aquarium!

I'm done blame your parents for their nervousness about flying. I've been fine ever since 9/11, but I don't know how I'm survive a flight of more than an hour without my water bottle...or without driving the flight attendants nuts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

~momacita

TreyJ said...

Red Raiders lost to TCU. HAHAHAHA!

Of course, I mean this in the friendliest way possible.

H Noble said...

TCU was ranked higher than Tech and should have won, right?????

Funny that TCU wants to be the underdog so they can win and gloat, but they are ranked higher. Doesn't add up in my head. Unfortunately is was a pitfull performance by both our offenses!