Thursday, July 16, 2009

Shhh... Don't tell my son!

by Holly

I took Eli to the doctor yesterday for a recheck on his ears. He has had 3 (both sides) ear infections in the last 3 months, with this one being the worst. Combined with the 3-4 we had last year, we have passed the max allowed by our pediatrician without having an ENT consult. Turns out the earliest appointment we could get with him is August 17th, but I was told to feel free to call anytime to see if there has been a cancellation. Thank you, I will.

Anyway, Eli was a good boy at the doctor, as he always is. I'll overlook him throwing the car keys at the doctor, because we had to wait a while and Eli's patience was thin and throwing is his knee-jerk reaction to being told no. I told him no, I would not open my lipstick for him to play with. I know, mean Mama. So, for being good, actually the nurse said, "For being so cute" Eli got a sucker. Not just any old sucker. It was the Safety Pop kind with the twisted loop handle, you know the kind like you used to get at your doctor's office when you were little. The memories flooded back! I didn't go to the doctor much, but when I did all the tears dissolved when I got to choose my flavor of Safety Pop! Eli's was Green Apple and it smelled so good!

Fast forward about 6 hours and I'm out running errands while my mom is home with Eli. I run quickly into the bank (I like the personal service as opposed to the little video screen with the person's face and the Jetson's-esque suction tube that takes your money who knows where but that's a different story.), take care of my business there and as I'm leaving the bank lobby what do I see in a beautiful crystal bowl? Safety Pops! I quickly snagged an Orange one and take it to the car thinking what a wonderful surprise it will be for my son to have two suckers in one day. I think that's fair as he is sick and I don't spoil him enough in my opinion. Well, a couple of errands later and that Safety Pop was looking pretty good. There's no sense in telling my son that he could have had two suckers in one day, but instead his Mama ate the second one and enjoyed all the memories it brought with it!

3 comments:

Viki said...

Too much sugar for little boys isn't a good thing - I think you were being a good mom, and definitely deserved the treat yourself. :-)

Jonathan said...

hahaha!! fun story! sadly, I do not know the goodness of the Safety Pop sucker

Unknown said...

I loved this one! Such a fun read! Too cute! You deserved that safety pop mama!!!!