Saturday, July 25, 2009

Garage Sale

by Holly

We had our garage sale today. We have had a garage full of stuff leftover from home renovation and just stuff we realized we didn't need after we moved in, and it needed to go. Our two big ticket items were the stove and dishwasher we replaced, but we didn't have so much as a lowball offer on either one. So, they will be going on Craig's List for another attempt. We did sell quite a decent amount of 'gently used junk' and we are happy about that. It was a multi-family sale, with my mom and brother and sister-in-law all here helping with their fair share of items to unload on customers. My brother also set up a card table in the shade of our tree with his Herbalife products. I don't know that he sold any, but he had quite a few people show interest and listen to his sales pitch, and gave a few catalogs and business cards to the ones that really seemed to care.

Justin has been pessimistic from the get-go on the whole garage sale idea, which I have been trying to tune out and combat. I think garage sales have a fun quality to them, whether you are the seller or the buyer. Well, his attitude changed a bit this afternoon when he learned that we made about $425 and that $200 of that was ours. I think we did fairly well.

So, I'm tired and ready for a shower and a nap. Eli's been asleep for about an hour and a half, so I'd better get going if I wish to do either before he wakes!

2 comments:

aimee said...

I am not a huge fan of garage sales either, but sounds like you did well! I am going to help Seth's mom next week with hers, so I might be bringing some things to try to sell too. I hope she does as well as you did.

H Noble said...

I hope so too! I think the reason we did much better this time than in the past was that we advertised it on Craig's List the two days beforehand. Probably won't help much in Friona though.