Friday, January 05, 2007

The New Year in Paradise,TX

Perched atop a hill, overlooking the tree lined valley to the west, sits my boyhood home. My parents bought this house close to 19 years ago. It is a home full of memories of laughter, crying, discipline and pride. A home like I want my kids to grow up in.

The nature of the beast of getting married is the inevitable figuring out of holidays. Absent of children, Holly and I alternate which parent we spend Thanksgiving and Christmas day with. This year we celebrated Christmas in Paradise over New Years weekend. I wrote extensively about my reflections over Christmas of the farm. While I have learned a lot on the farm, and have a deep respect for the rural way of life, I cannot deny that I am who I am because of the value and virtues of growing up in Paradise.

My dad would say that he is a humble man. I would say he is a proud man. He has a lot to be proud of. He taught me early on, mostly through action, that there is no reason to dodge hard work. He worked long hours, in every imaginable condition, to bring home a wage that we could live on. Rarely did he say no to reasonable requests, and even if it was a little out there he would explain why we work hard not to waste our money.

He taught, mostly by action, that you stand up for yourself but you don’t trample the people around you to do it. He work toward the future, but not at the expense of today. You think about every action and the reciprocal reactions. You love your family.

If dad was the provider, Mom was the executor. She was the one who worked to let the family enjoy itself. She freely gave or horded her salary to pay for the superfluous. She was the nurturer.

I have always been a moma’s boy. That is not to say that I wasn’t dad’s kid, but Mom and I always connected. She would put up with the random requests in whatever game I was playing by myself in my head. She would encourage and push, mostly in nonverbal ways, each and every whim I talked about. She was the voice of the wide open future.

This New Years, I reflected on family. The successes in life caused by two parents who chose to escape the city and raise their family in a small rural community. Parents who, for whatever reason, choose to nature and guide their kids towards far greater success through every means possible. Whether it was through feeding and raising the animals, figuring out the calculus problem or achieving the next merit badge, their non-verbal lives of discipline have made me who I am and will be.

New Years is a time of looking forward. I think you need to look back down the road traveled, to make sure the vision ahead is clear.

5 comments:

H Noble said...

Well, where did this philosophical husband come from? I'm just playing. I know you.

I'm sure your parents would love to read these words and know just how much you love and appreciate them as well.

There's no doubt we will be great parents, with the examples we've both had! Bring on the opportunity!

Love ya,
H

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful post once again. You know, you are setting the bar pretty high for your future posts! I now expect reflective, wonderful posts everytime I visit here! :)

aimee

H Noble said...

Now I'm second guessing the post I was going to do!!
Not really- he assured me that it was not the precedent, just a time for reflection.
H

Viki said...

Everyone needs time to reflect once in a while, and it always comes out so beautifully on this blog. I think you've inspired me...I'm going to have to reflect on what it was like growing up in my family, and growing up in the city...the parents working hard and teaching us the same things your parents taught you, but in a very different setting. I'm a city girl all the way, and even though it can be crowded and noisy and my commute is currently an hour and a half each way, I love it. :-)

ArmandII said...

You're so right man. All to often our parents have made sacrifices for us that go unrecognized. Your parents have been a wonderful example in all the boyz lives. Thank them for me next time you talk to them...if there is one thing I learned from your dad it was how to work hard! :-)

PS: I actually have a post and it is a pretty important one so check it out when you get the chance. You guys are awesome and we missed you at New Years!

Kilroy was here!