Sunday, July 23, 2006

Class Reunion

Some of you may not understand this if you didn't go to a small school, but some of you may be nodding and smiling (or grimacing) as memories come flooding back to you.

Well, Justin and I attended my 10 year high school reunion yesterday in Amarillo. I was looking forward to it for months and was even a little nervous at the prospect of being back around those people who hold the power of making you a part of the in-crowd or an outsider. We spent the afternoon in a park, chatting and getting over that awkward phase of knowing each other, but somehow not knowing each other at all.

We went back to the hotel to regroup, change clothes and hang out for a little while in the breakfast area, looking at scrapbooks, pictures and reminiscing. Then we headed to a local restaurant where we had a party room. Now the "fun" begins. The classmates who always thought they were cool for drinking haven't changed and haven't developed the ability to know their limits either. I'm not ashamed to say I was liked in school, but never got the seal of approval from the athletes. So here we go. My personal rival bought a shot for me and two of my friends, the 3 people who were band geeks. Now, would you take it personally if someone you can barely stand to look at bought you a shot called Death Fart? Needless to say, I didn't take it. Justin passed it down the table and it wasn't wasted. Rival calls me out saying, "where's your shot? When someone buys you a drink, you drink it." I responded with "I don't take shots and I'm not starting now." They laughed at me and quickly forgot about it, as they were already drunk. Anyway.

A group of 8 of us ate, paid our bills and headed to another place for dessert and wine. Relief! We were able to have intelligent conversation, remember the good times, and also get to know each others' spouses (4 classmates/4 spouses). Trey and Viki, Justin and I had a bottle of Forest Fire from California. Fabulous!!!!

We then went back to the hotel and stayed up till 3 just because we didn't want the night to end. Breakfast this morning was also enjoyable because only the responsible people were able to get up at a reasonable time. One of the highlights is that I was reaquainted with my friend who I had lived with in college and let circumstances come between us. We apologized to each other, agreed to leave it in the past and have promised to get back to where we once were. I love you Aimee!

The moral of the story is that some people will never grow up and those of us that have are the ones who really are the "cool kids." And you know, I came away from this experience with a new appreciation and love for my husband. He loves me more and treats me better than I ever imagined possible. Thank you Justin, and I'm proud to be married to a fellow band geek!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ArmandII said...

Holly, I was just thinking the other day about reunions and wondering when they would start sending info out about ours. It's still two years out, but how do you find out about it?

I only hope Jelaine will be able to come with me (so I can show her off), and that I'll be able to go myself.

Kilroy was here!

TreyJ said...

Viki and I have been talking about reunions recently and I can't say that I'm all that excited about it. Maybe we'll make the trip down, but perhaps not.

Oh yeah, and yay for band geeks!!!

H Noble said...

Armand,
The class officers are officially responsible for contacting everyone. Our school has a webpage where you can go to your class's page and update your phone/email so people can contact you. I guess every school is different though. Even with the bad stuff, I'm glad we went- the good definitely outweighed the bad!
H

H Noble said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Holly, Getting to see you, hang out with you and meet your awesome husband was definitely my husband's and my highlight of the whole reunion. I cherish that time we had together and only sorry that it had to come to an end. I am blessed that we have grown up and honestly, I always thought you were the coolest one ever (and still are!)--Aimee

Anonymous said...

Oh and by the way, thanks Justin for fixing this so I can comment!!!

H Noble said...

Isn't she great?
H

Jelaine said...

I just wonder if I'll ever have a class reunion, since there were only seven of us, it wouldn't make for much of a party, especially if some people didn't show...

H Noble said...

The odds aren't great Jelaine, as we only had 17 of 63 show up. :)
H

Viki said...

Glad you had a good time - I remember a period of about 6 months when a lot of my friends decided to be 'cool' and that I wasn't good enough for them. I'm glad that I didn't get involved in whatever they were doing, and now I look back on them and I'm the one who's successful and happy and they're the college dropouts who are mooching off of their parents!

mrscoutmaster said...

Well, I can add my two cents here. I missed most of my reunions as they always seemed to be when the troop was doing something. That to me was no choice as to where I was going.lol. I did make my 20th and as Holly stated some never grow up. But my class mates were impressed with my family and their accomplishments. I did get to meet up with my best friend from High School, but I am not sure my wife enjoyed meeting HER.lol So getting off thet subject, I was not sure I wanted to go, but am very glad I did. BTW the wifes reunion was the same wekend. We attended both and the wife was followed by a drunk guy she swears ignored her in school...sure!! My 2 cents..Make them as ther are good for stories and making yourself feel good about what you have done with your life.lol

H Noble said...

Now there is an old goat perspective for you!
-the son

H Noble said...

Well, I was trying to be mature and humorous as well when I wrote the blog, but as the days go on, I have realized how much it hurt to be the brunt of a joke by the same people who did that to me 10 years ago. I know it shouldn't matter, but it still does. I guess that shows that I'm sensitive, but we already knew that. No tears, baby!
H

mrscoutmaster said...

Holly just take it to mean that they have never grown up!!!You have grown and prospered and they are still in they same place they were 10 years ago. There is more to life than money.

Anonymous said...

Somthing to make you feel better... several complaints were made because of their noise level in their hotel room and they almost got kicked out because of it. Wouldn't you haved loved to have seen them checking out the next morning, knowing they acted like a bunch of idiots? Hee hee. Believe me, they are not cool and that just proves it. What they did to you was awful but you handled it beautifully!

H Noble said...

Thanks A! I know it doesn't matter. I just have a thing about people liking me. Anyway, I would have been horrified if I had even been anywhere around when the hotel trouble, or checking out for that matter, was taking place. Have some respect for people around you! That reflects on Friona though, since their hotel was part of our room block. Nice.
H