Monday, March 03, 2008

Remember the Alamo!

Fellow citizens and compatriots: I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna--I have sustained a continual bombardment and cannonade for 24 hours and have not lost a man--the enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison is to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken--I have answered the demands with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the wall--I shall never surrender or retreat.

Then, I call on you in the name of liberty, of patriotism and of everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily and will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor and that of his country--Victory or Death.

William Barret Travis,
Lt. Col., Commander.

March 2nd, 2008: 172 years after Texas Independence we still stand proud.

Happy Texas Independence Day.


5 comments:

Viki said...

Hooray!

The wallpaper on my cell phone is the stone from the Alamo that's set into the Chicago Tribune building...

H Noble said...

Oh, honey! It is a special day, and I'm proud to call you my husband!
H

TreyJ said...

Awesome post. 'Nuff said.

Unknown said...

I keep meaning to tell you Justin, and now seems like a quite appropriate time.
I was watching Spanish-language TV here several weeks ago, and they had commercials for Six Flags theme park. But it wasn't a commercial for the park in Arlington or San Antonio or any of the other ones around the country.
It was for Six Flags Mexico (http://www.sixflags.com.mx/). Yep, the theme park that has as its symbol the 6 flags that have flown over Texas (including Mexico), now has a park in Mexico City.
My question is, do you think they have the Texas flag flying at the entrance to the park?
Wouldn't that be something to have the Texas flag flying over Mexican territory yet again?!
Anyway, I thought if anyone would appreciate the irony of that, it would be Justin...on Texas Independence Day.

JNoble said...

Now that is how to score bonus points in the friend category. Everyone should take note of how masterfully Seth targeted his response to my keen sense of pride in Texas.

Who wouldn't love to see the flag of the Republic of Texas fly over Mexican territory yet again. The irony would be worth a million pictures.

Thanks Seth.