Thursday, March 06, 2008

Texas Weather


This week's weather has been particularly amusing to me. Monday morning I went to work knowing that it was going to be a cool day. With highs in the forties and a chance of rain. They said there was a small chance of snow, but with no accumulation.

Now normally with the slightest chance of the possibility of the isolated probability of one snowflake causes TxDOT to jump into action, the news station put the sorry saps outside in the freezing rain and all we talk about is how it MIGHT POSSIBLY think about MAYBE have some ISOLATED showers. Not this time. For once in their life, the news didn't overreact. The funny thing is, they were wrong.

I was at a Company event until 9 p.m. on Monday night. I left the Nokia Theatre with HUGE wet snowflakes falling from the sky. It was so beautiful. You native Texians know how special snow is to us. It wasn't sticking, but it was pretty. On my drive home I was driving 60 mph in Plano. Five miles later in Allen the roads were slick. The overpasses were icing and I was driving 30 mph. Oops.

The following morning Holly and I carpooled and it took us about an hour to do thirty minutes of driving. Now this Tuesday morning was cold, by Texas standards. But the afternoon high was 55. By Wednesday the temperature was a nice and balmy 65 degrees. From snow to 65 in two days.

Now the big flip happens again. They are predicting snow again for tonight and tomorrow. Fear not, the news won't be caught off guard again. They have crews stationed "around the metroplex for complete Team coverage". Oh boy.

A bombing occurred in Times Square this morning. I listened to fifteen minutes of weather on my way in before it was mentioned. Even then it was a "developing story that we are following, now back to Brad Barton in the KRLD Weather center." I turned it off.

Snow twice in a week? Must be Global Warming...

Now I am off to buy a snow shovel.

5 comments:

TreyJ said...

Al Gore called. He said he's really sorry about the mix-up, and he's working to fix it so he doesn't look like a fool.

H Noble said...

And I forgot my coat today! The one day we aren't going straight home from Nabbey's house! Geez.

J and I are attending our very first Dallas Mavericks game tonight, courtesy of his boss. Thanks Lori!

Um, Justin? Can you ask Jenise if I can borrow a coat tonight??
H

aimee said...

Y'all are getting the snow that my boys so want!!! They haven't gotten to use those silly sleds I bought them for Christmas at all this year! Oklahoma news reacts pretty much the same way--all weather coverage-all the time--but so far they have been wrong. Now they are gun shy and say "we have to just watch and see" because "these weather patterns are constantly changing". Oh, is that the problem?

TheLudlows said...

It snowed here this morning. And less than 1 hour latter we have sunshine!!!!!
But it was cool to wake up to snow. We here in south TX hardly ever get to see it. What is that white stuff falling from the sky????

mrscoutmaster said...

9 inches in my part of north Texas