Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Eli's First Day with Abbey

by Holly

Well, today marks the beginning of a new chapter in Eli's young life. Its his first day staying with our nanny. I'm not sure 'nanny' is the right term, but its the best I can come up with. What do you call the person who you trust to care for your baby, to feed him and change him and love him and teach him new things, when you can't be there to do it yourself? Abbey is one of my best friends and I love her dearly. That is why it isn't harder to leave Eli and come to work. He's in good hands and will love going to her house 3 days a week. Abbey has two children, a daughter who is 3 1/2 and a son who just turned 1. I foresee lots of fun to come!

It was crazy getting out of the house this morning, and hopefully it will be better tomorrow. I had the 'first day of school' jitters for my son, even though he was just cooing and smiling all the while. At least one of us was calm! I also had a paper sack full of stuff, a diaper bag full of stuff, Eli's nebulizer, an insulated bag with frozen breastmilk, the extra car seat base, and the car seat with the baby all strapped in and tucked in tight with his fuzzy car blanket. And that was all for him! For me, I had my purse, lunch, breast pump, to-go cup of water and a glass of milk for breakfast on the run. Oh, and our diaper bag in case I needed something between Abbey's house and mine this afternoon. Whew! I know that most of his stuff will stay there and I won't have to deal with that daily, but please say a prayer for me tomorrow morning around 5 a.m.!

We left our house at straight up 6:00 and got to Abbey's at exactly 6:30. After 15 minutes of instruction and thank-you's, I left at 6:45 and got to work at 7:10. Not too bad! We'll see if I can shave a few minutes off tomorrow.

Eli is feeling much better, although he has a lingering cough and sore throat. He had his two month checkup yesterday and got 5 shots and an oral vaccine. Poor baby! Justin said he screamed for a while and was fussy the rest of the day. I think I would have cried; Justin just treated himself to Jack in the Box and muddled through. We're still doing the breathing treatments, but hopefully that will be gone soon.

Hope you are all doing well! I hope to get back in the blogging world soon!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats to all of you for surviving your first day back to work! Hope things get easier. I am so glad that you have a wonderful friend to watch Eli. What a comfort!
love,Kristen

Anonymous said...

Sounds like everything went fairly well Holly. It is so reassuring to have someone you know to watch your little one. We really love Connor having a couple of other kids to be with at the sitters - he loves to have them entertain him. It does get easier - not to leave him, but the process!

Christy

H Noble said...

Yes, we did survive. He did fairly well there, aside from the couple of hours in the church nursery while Abbey was at Bible study. But shame on them for trying to lay Eli down! Ha!

I actually returned to work on the 18th, but my mom was here taking care of Eli last week. Thank God she was here, as he was so sick last week.

And yes, a huge blessing that he is with someone we know and trust!

Holly

Viki said...

I'm glad he's feeling better, and good job for surviving your first few days back. I have enough trouble getting myself out of the house in the morning - throw in giving a cat medicine and I'm making my train by the skin of my teeth...

It sounds like Eli will have lots of fun at Abbey's, and I'm sure her children will love the new friend. :-)

H Noble said...

Well, I forgot to mention the cat! Thanks Viki! Sadly, Trigger isn't getting nearly as much attention as he was accustomed to, and we have {gasp} even forgotten his insulin a couple of times lately! Poor kitty.
H

TreyJ said...

Unfortunately I really can't come up with anything fun or witty to post here, but I did want to let you know I'm alive and reading blogs. Glad to hear that Eli is doing a little better. Keep us updated!

kristen said...

What a lovely blog to read. Congratulations. I have four little boys and they are a delight every day.

Viki said...

Hey, the random australian lady found your blog, too!

H Noble said...

How nice! And thank you for saying its lovely!
Holly

Jonathan said...

so, how is the routine after a week of practice?

glad to hear all is well!!

H Noble said...

Routine is much better Jonathan. He loves it at Abbey's and sleeps away the days there in her super comfy baby swing. We've gotten the process streamlined to get out the door, and have found the most direct route to her house for each time of day. We are on the downhill side of that now! Yea!
H