Tuesday, December 04, 2007

This Blog Sealed for Freshness

Holly and I went to Wal-Mart last night (not Target) to purchase some items needed for the hospital bag. While picking out some socks I noticed that the chosen sock bag had one of those resealable zipper things and a very proud statement of “RESEALABLE BAG”. I immediately began my normal mind game of who needs a resealable bag of socks? Now there are some obviously destitute people whom I am sure would need a resealable bag, however these were not the cheapest sock on the rack.

My mind quickly jumped to marketing. I am very cognoscente of marketing. I find the subject of trying to make you want things that “you don’t even know you want” to be fascinating. I want to know what study, survey or questions were asked to determine that a resealable bag would in fact be a value add to consumers and increase the amount of total sales of the product. How did they determine that resealable socks should go the way of cheese and other food products? I think most importantly, does it work? Do people really buy these socks because of a resealable bag?

Well while we figure this one out, have no fear, the stupid zipper didn’t work and it took a degree in engineering to figure out that just right place to open the top of the bag to not compromise the resealable quality of the package. Some things never change.

A quick baby update
We have started weekly appointments, which means the time is growing near. The nursery is complete, with pictures soon. Holly is completely uncomfortable. And the clock has seemed to stop while we await this final month. Tick – tock – Tick – tock…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was just asking myself, "where are the nobles?" they have gone awol...and don't say its because you have nothing to say. your "uninspired" post sparked some inspiration for sure!

enough with the future promises, we demand instant gratification!! everyone join with me...nursery pics, nursery pics, we want nursery pics :)

Unknown said...

We second Jonathan's motion...we want to see pictures! We still haven't seen any pictures of Holly's pregnant tummy! We can't wait to hear about the arrival of baby Noble!

TreyJ said...

I've never heard of a resealable sock bag. I guess marketing folks have too much time on their hand and feel they need to do something different every once in a while to move their product. I'm happy with my socks coming in a regular bag, thank you.