Monday, November 19, 2007

Uninspired

By Justin

What do you write about, when you can not think of anything to write about? Life is just happening. Commutes are normal. Work is just happening. Even Baby Noble is just adding fat these days. I seem to be in an uninspired stretch of life for blogging. Sorry Dan!

We have finished our last baby shower. We had four showers and just loved being doted on. We received just about everything we needed to bring home Baby Noble, except the stroller and car seat combo. So Saturday night we headed to Target to buy it up. We were so excited that we installed the car seat that evening. We feel ready with only five weeks to go!

I do have a gripe about Target. We registered there and have received multiple duplicate gifts. We took several things back on Saturday thinking we would use the store credit toward the expensive stroller. When we went to the counter the lady explained that if we do not have the gift receipt that we cannot get credit. We knew that was the policy, except if you had a registry with them. She explained that as of August that they would not accept returns through a registry either. I was not happy and to keep from screaming at the lady, shut down. I know it was not her fault. Sounds like a policy an auditor would come up with, doesn’t it? We were allowed to return up to $30 on Holly’s license number, which we did. And we will probably return another item to get the $30 on my license. Now we are trying to determine if any gifts overlap into our other registry at Baby’s R Us to return there or if Wal-Mart sells them. Wal-mart is like Southwest Airlines, they will treat any customer with compassion, so long as you preach your undying love for them!

This gets to the heart of why I hate Target. It is a Wal-Mart store packaged in “modern” décor. It is branded to make middle class white people who shop there feel like they are not at a Wal-Mart. Heaven forbid that a middle class person shop with the lowlifes at Wal-Mart. In fact they both buy the majority of their products overseas, repackage them and ship them off to the big box store that is “convenient” for all your needs. My favorite person is a person who “loves Target clothes” then snarls at “Wal-Mart crap”.

Newsflash: They are both made by sweatshop labor in a third world country, while the textile centers of the United States of America are bankrupt and workers now working at Wal-Mart and Target to pay their sub-prime mortgages.

So thanks Target, yet another reason that I don’t have to shop your stores, unless of course you are closer than a Wal-Mart.

Maybe I was inspired?

16 comments:

Sarah said...

We have some friends that had that experience with Target. What they did is when online and changed their registry to reflect the extra stuff they got (so instead of wanting 2 items, they changed it to 4). This way they were able to take back everything and get the credit.

sarah

TheLudlows said...

YIKES! I'm just glad Baby G came before the change. I do know if you have a nice future grandma she can use her license too!
5 weeks!?!?!
Just have the bags packed. We got a 6 week early surprise!

Charissa

aimee said...

Wow. I had no idea you had such a repulsion against Target. Being a Target lover myself (and for the exact reason that you listed, I sheepishly admit), I feel your pain but I still will choose Target over Wal-mart any day of the week. And I get all of what you said and I know it is true, but I still don't like Wal-mart.

Anyway, glad you are ready for Baby Noble. I am ready too! :)

JNoble said...

Sarah, the problem is they REQUIRE a receipt, no matter what is on your registry. You could have the whole store listed and they WILL NOT TAKE IT BACK without a receipt. It really make my blood boil...

H Noble said...

Easy there, Justin! A couple of details- it is actually only one item $20 or less that you can return, not $30. And we have 6 weeks left, not 5. (J may be thinking of when we expect him, not our due date though!)

And I promise a baby/pregnancy/picture blog is coming, I just don't know how to do that, and we haven't coordinated our computer time!
H

TreyJ said...

That's amazing that they made that change. I guess too many people abusing the system.

And yes, it does sound like you were inspired. Isn't it funny how you can start off on a post thinking you have nothing to say, and when you get done you're halfway through a dissertation on the evils of the modern world? :-)

Unknown said...

We have to admit we are Target people too. I have actually seen an article about how the dark grey and blue motif in Walmart causes added stress to the shopping experience. Fresh colors like white and red for some reason don't cause the environmental stress. Now we all know why every aisle in Walmart has a screaming kid! We are frustrated with Target though because they refuse to ship to APO addresses. I actually ordered a gift from Target for Seth BUT I could only buy the Target product through Amazon and have it shipped by Target who otherwise will not ship to us! You would think they would rather not share profits with Amazon.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Target is just jacked up prices for the same merchandise! I love Wal-mart - they take anything back. Dan saw this one guy return a year-old battery because it died before the warranty was up. They took it back!

I can understand about not feeling inspired, sometimes I just start typing and things come out though! Life is full of a bunch of uninspiring normal day things.

Holly - Yeah, I started a blog! Dan and I will be soon starting one together for our adoption journey. We'll keep you posted!

H Noble said...

Great to hear from you Margo- and I'd love to hear more about the process. We have some friends through church who are in the foster/adoption process as well.
H

Jonathan said...

i felt left out not making a comment on the post. so, uninspired = post + 10 comments...i like it!

Anonymous said...

Justin and Holly's blog Rocks! A extra star for mentioning my name.

My favorite blog post of yours was about the guy with the old car that Holly saw.

Ya, so I was waiting to return something at walmart, the guy in front of me had a old battery that was completely used. They were like, 'no prob'....

H Noble said...

Thanks Dan! We need to catch up. I am a little confused about somethings. We shall talk soon!

J

Viki said...

I know someone who, several years ago, worked at a large store and ended up getting arrested for fraud, because he kept returning stuff he hadn't actually purchased for store credit. Taking it from that angle you can't really blame them, can you?

On the Target & Walmart tangent...I like Target for groceries - they're much less expensive than they are at the Jewel by our house (try $1 less per box of granola bars and $.50-.75 less for a can of soup...it adds up). I understand Walmart in the south is different than it is in the north - I try to avoid shopping at Walmart up here at all costs because they're trashy, but down south they're Ok.

H Noble said...

My thought on the fraud is that honest people wouldn't have to be treated with distrust if certain people didn't ruin if for everyone. And then Scott wouldn't have a job, would he? ;)
H

Viki said...

We need enough dishonest people in the world to keep your husband employed, but not enough to ruin it for us good folks, I agree. :-)

JNoble said...

Thanks Viki, So VERY true!

J