Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Light Fixture

Before I dive into my tale, let me update you guys on the happenings of my life. I have been working at Southwest Airlines now for almost a month. In my month I have decorated my cube, worked to get to know some great coworkers and tried to adapt to the Southwest culture. On day one a group of fifteen grown adults sang a song to me to welcome me ‘aboard’. On day five the finance department went through the entire five floors of the company in parade style, dressed in complete Cinco-de-Mayo garb. After the parade (3pm) my boss cracked a beer open and passed out other beers in our office. We walked through the company, carrying open containers, to the huge maintenance hanger for a Cinco-de-Mayo party. At the party there were piñatas hanging from the ceiling lifts that they use to work on the planes, a band, games, free cokes and more alcohol to purchase very cheap. I spent the next week in Kansas City, MO, which was a great learning point for me. This last week was more orientation and getting things organized.

The best part of this is the clothing I can wear. I came from an environment of wearing slacks or Dockers each day and being able to put on a tie if you were going to a meeting. We did wear Polo’s during the warmer months, but only if you didn’t have a meeting. On day one, I wore my normal work attire. Day two was pants and polo. Day three was shorts and a polo. Day four was pants, a polo and flip flops. I adapted very quick to this relaxed atomosphere. The fun thing is that it starts with the CEO and goes down. For the stockholders meeting, which was last Wednesday, I say the Chairman of the board and President both wearing jeans. It is great. During the summer my office has Hawaiian shirt Fridays. So I wore linen pants, an open Hawaiian shirt a green undershirt to match and flip flops. My new coworkers were amazed how quickly I have ‘embraced’ the culture. Me too!

The light fixture story is quite humorous. Holly has wanted to create a little more room around our breakfast table. To do so she decided to put one side of the table against the kitchen bar wall. This left the light fixture hanging over the table low enough to crack your head on it. Currently there is not enough chain and cord to swing the fixture over the new placement. Now she spent a lot of time working this out but I was worried about the light fixture, so I place a bar stool in the middle of the fixture so I wouldn’t hit it. She was ticked I did this and refused to go to dinner on Wednesday, unless I moved it back. I tried to explain, but she didn’t care. We get back from our evening out and I am on the phone with a friend when bam, she hits it. I crack up laughing and she has to fight to keep from laughing, even though her head hurts.

So now we have one of our chairs pulled back to keep us from walking under it. Did I say I told you so?

6 comments:

Viki said...

I love hearing about your work environment. Mine's pretty relaxed, too (the big boss was tasting wine the other afternoon and extended the invite to me - yeah!) but not _that_ much!

You should take a picture of this light fixture issue - it sounds funny, but I'm having trouble visualizing...

mrscoutmaster said...

Well son, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'um drink. Wives are like that sometimes. :-)

Tom said...

To low diningroom lite fixtures are one of the great urban disasters of our time. They are everywhere, well mostly in dining rooms and breakfast nooks, put there to show the unenlighted where to put the table. i.e. the table must be right smack dab in the middle of the room. Surely a graduate (spelling getting worse) Architect would understand the need for this. Heavens, moving the lamp, what next master bedrooms in a separate part of the house from the rest rest the bedrooms! OH they already do that, there's no hope! I could go on and on. BUT I WON'T.

TreyJ said...

Hope they weren't working on the planes while the containers were open... :-)

Hope you get the light fixture worked out. Armand's house had one of those and I hit it quite a few times when I was helping him move in.

Viki said...

I am LMAO at Tom's comment

ArmandII said...

LMAO? I actually don't know what that means. Anyway, as soon as read your blog I remembered how funny it was every time Trey ran into mine. Not too funny to him of course, but you gotta laugh.

Kilroy was here!