Thursday, April 20, 2006

It’s Like Rain on Your Wedding Day

So there are two kinds of drivers in Texas, those who can drive in any weather and those who require perfectly sunny and clear days. Today is not sunny and clear…

Let’s look a little closer.

All Weather Drivers (of which I am one)
We understand a basic concept that road and weather conditions require caution, but not stupidity. We know to increase space between cars and adjust speed closer to the actual speed limit. We understand that rash decisions and breaking is not smart. We understand to look out for the other class of drivers, cause they ain’t looking for you. We understand that it will take longer, but only because the other class of drivers are on the road twenty minutes early so they ‘won’t be late’ in the ‘traffic they cause.’

Sunny and Clear Drivers (of which I am NOT)
These people think that the very mention of rain, and thus water on the roads, induces a sever driving hazard. To compensate for the hazard they must drive 40 in 65 in the left lane. They do this because they feel the road will be slick. They equate water to ice. They equate ice to an immediate trip to Hell. They start braking for turns, lane changes, exits, lights, etc no less than three times the require stopping distance. They get mad at All Weather Drivers because we are ‘unsafe’ and ‘unruly.’

I had one of the most frustrating drives into work this morning. It was a sea of Sunny and Clear Drivers with five All Weather Drivers all trying to help each other through the maze. The lady in front of me was driving 40 in a 65. There was no rain. The road was wet from the overnight rain, but it was not unsafe. She was leaving no less than a football field and a half between her and the car in front of her, while being in the left lane. If a car went around her she hit her brakes to increase the distance between them. It took a while, but I finally started to get around her. As I passed her she looked at me and gave me this look. I looked at her and pointed to her to get out of the left lane. She flipped me off. So I got in front of her and hit my brakes to go 30. She got mad and changed lanes to get around me. I immediately sped up and the whole line behind her passed her, on the left, as it is designed to do.

I love Dallas.

4 comments:

H Noble said...

Ok, never mind. I won't come see you.

I vote to move on articles of impeachment. Under the bylaws the group of Texans can impeach for flagrant disrespect of the greatest State in the Union.

Love Live TEXAS!

ArmandII said...

Impeachment is a bit harsh, I think. Perhaps just a good dose of Texas Pride indoctrination will do. Or, we could just find a new member soon. We need some new blood anyway.

On the all weather driving in Dallas. I was driving with Angela once and did a 360 on the freeway in Dallas. The highway was completely covered in ice, but partially due to God and mad driving skills I managed to regain control and continue the journey with no significant delay. Ange was scared though.

Kilroy was here!

TreyJ said...

Don't they usually pass measures of censure if impeachment is too harsh? Or at least send him through a paddle machine or something.

Oh, and on driving - go to Naples sometime....it'll really change your perspective.

Viki said...

This is a late response, but in case anyone's reading...

You should see the Sunny & Clear people in the snow, especially when they're not used to it. Last winter (2005) I was driving in Naples on the expressway and it had been trickling just a little. That was fun. :-)