Monday, April 17, 2006

Annual Rite of Passage Into Spring

The one true thing unique to homeownership is mowing the freakin’ lawn. Saturday was ‘lawn day’ in the Noble household. It is an annual rite of passage into spring. You spend the day pulling weeds, performing the first mow, weed-eat, and planting new flowers. We did just that. Friday night, to avoid the crowds, we went to Lowes and purchased new flowers for the beds. Holly prefers to buy annuals each year so we can have different colors and styles. We also purchased a few new perennials and a new bush. So we spent the morning digging and rearranging our current plants to make room for our new plants. While Holly planted the flowers, I mowed and weed-eated the yard. It was quite a daunting task, yet the payoff was nice. We now have flowers of yellow, orange, pink, red and purple. The whole front of the house will be full of color in a couple of weeks as they grow and fill in.

I have to admit that I was a skeptic. Last summer Holly planted 98 of these tiny flowering plants. For weeks I thought we wasted our money, they were small and scrawny. About a month later they took off. Before long they were falling out of the bed and I had to avoid mowing them. They looked great and made the whole front of the house rich. I am a believer now.

One note to the homebuyers among us, two words, sprinkler system. Spend the little extra money and have a sprinkler system put in. Last summer I spent the better part of an hour each day after work and three to four hours on the weekend moving hoses and sprinklers to keep the yard and flowers going. It was a lot of time and energy that I came to hate. So late this winter we had a sprinkler system put in. It has been a great addition, despite the cost. The pain has been to put it in after the sod is laid you have to rip your yard to pieces. We now look like we have an overactive gopher. It will go away, I know, and to not haul hoses is very worth it.

Now the real fun begins. Mowing and yard work become a weekly task. Ahh 100 degree mowing days, can’t wait.

5 comments:

ArmandII said...

Well, I have to tell you that I have opted out on the sprinkler system. Instead I have decided to spend a hundred dollars on a hose and one of those cool John Deere tractor sprinklers that walks itself along the hose. You just set it and forget it. Hopefully it works as well as advertised. We'll see, but either way I am really looking forward to my first year of lawncare. Oh, and you should post some pics of your garden now and in a month. We have a little flower box and I need some ideas!

Kilroy was here!

H Noble said...

We have a tractor, but moving it around trees and sidewalks was a pain, plus it liked to jump it's hose track and have a mind of it's own. I will have to say that Holly's family (remember her father is a farmer) is a big John Deere family. She will be happy to see some brand loyalty there!

TreyJ said...

I know you say it's a pain, but I'm really looking forward to lawn care - guess that's the Hank Hill coming out in me. Hopefully I'll get a few flowerboxes and green plants in our little apartment patio this spring.

Viki said...

I love those moving sprinkler things! I also love that T3 is so into the lawn thing. As much as I love a nice-looking lawn, flowers, and other plants, I don't much care for digging around in the dirt...

Tom said...

The high was around 102 degrees.Justin it's all your fault, they were just forcasting 97 or so.Then you wrote this, this morning. Had to stick the 100 degree comment.\;-)