Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lost in the Shuffle

by Holly

Its awesome to see so many 'first day of school' photos on Blogs and FaceBook. Its wonderful to feel the spark of excitement in the air around people geared up for the new school year. It makes me smile to see school supplies at WalMart and little kids excited about their new backpacks.

Aw... we are totally missing out on this. Our next door neighbors are 3 college guys back in Lubbock for the next semester so its fun to see them back, but personally, not affecting us. Am I crazy to long for the dorm days, the time of fun we had with our friends, the anticipation of what our professors would be like and how hard the classes would be? The school zones are one down side, but thankfully I don't drive during school zone hours, so no problem for me.

I know I should enjoy the season of life I'm in, revelling in how precious our almost-two year old is and that before I know it he will be in school himself, walking the two blocks to his elementary school holding mom's hand and then saying goodbye. I'm not ready for that day, but maybe we could just borrow someone else's schooltime joy for a bit.

Maybe I'll just go buy a pack of newly sharpened pencils and smell them like Kathleen Kelly does in 'You've Got Mail'. :)

3 comments:

aimee said...

You are funny. I remember feeling like you felt when I had a two year old. How quickly time went where now I am wondering how my 2-year old got to be a 3rd grader. And my baby now a first grader.

Buy the pencils. But revel in the joys of being a parent of a toddler that has no homework or afterschool activities. It will happen soon enough. :)

TheLudlows said...

I still buy school supplies even if I don't NEED 3 kinds of markers.
I miss it too, but this year G is going to MDO and we'll get a first day then!

Viki said...

I just bought school supplies, but they're for my 30-year-old, and it was just 2 notebooks. :-)

I also sometimes think it would be nice to be a student again...but I'm glad I don't live in a dorm!