Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hi I’m…

By Justin

Following today’s title standards I wish to now be referred to as:
Justin T. Noble, HD, MBA, MArch, ES, CIA

Seriously, isn’t enough enough on this stuff? I have been annoyed for a long time about people who place long series of initials after their names. The reality is most people don’t have a clue what they mean, and anyone who does understand really isn’t impressed.

I propose we change from initials to spelling it all out. At least then we will know what you are bragging about. With this I now wish to be referred to as:
Justin Thomas Noble, High School Diploma, Masters of Business Administration, Master of Architecture, Eagle Scout, Certified Internal Auditor

I will need bigger business cards, but it will be worth it in so I can brag on all my accomplishments. I think the initials that drive me nuts are the ones where people have started listing their degrees. Recently I have seen three different people put MBA after their name. Okay, let’s just be honest. I have an MBA. Is it an accomplishment, yes. The truth is that they are handed out like candy to make people feel good about having an ‘advanced’ degree and can get 100 more a month at their job. Some people parlay the MBA into senior management, but let’s not kid ourselves that it was a difficult item to attain and thus worthy of tacking it on to our name like we are a doctor or something. And seriously when did your degree get placed on a business card?

I have also witnessed this with Holly’s career. She signes her name, HNoble, RN. While she is required to include the RN, other coworkers have decided to do JJones, RN, BSN, XYZ. Somehow while doing the same job as everyone else, it is necessary to include the fact that you have a bachelor of nursing not just an associates. It begs the question, “If you have your bachelors, and it is worth calling out, why are you not doing something better than me”? I know the answer, but that may take cynical to the next level.

Alas I will just stick to my original plan. Let’s just all be people who do a job and forget about the “stuff behind the name.”

Thanks,
Justin T. Noble

P.S. If you think mine is bad you should look at Holly's:
Holly Jyl Jack Noble, Bachelors of Science in Human Development and Family Studies, Associates of Applied Sciences in Nursing, Registered Nurse, Registered Bone Densitographer or Holly J. Noble, BHDFS, ASN, RN, RBD. Or just Holly for short.

1 comment:

H Noble said...

Honey, I think I'll need to quit my job. Typing all of that out after every claim review is giving me carpal tunnel syndrome. Guess we'll just have to live on your income, okay? Good thing you have your MBA.