Sunday, December 07, 2008

Tomato Experiment

Have you ever seen anything like this? I bought a bag of tomatoes on the vine and grabbed one to chop for a salad. When I cut it open, the seeds were sprouting! It really looked like alfafa sprouts but I hadn't bought any of those in months. My mom happened to be here at the time and as an avid gardener I felt sure she had come across this, but she had not. We did not eat the tomato. It may have been fine but it freaked me out a little. So, the other two tomatoes were left on the counter to 'develop' for a couple of weeks to see what might happen. See below.



You can see the bumps on the tomato's skin where the sprouts were growing and struggling to break through. On the last tomato, Justin sliced tiny holes above a few of these bumps to see if the sprouts would grow out and continue. The did a little, but then dried out and stopped.

The only thing anyone has come up with so far is that perhaps these were organic tomatoes (I would love to buy organic, but can't sacrifice the $ at the checkout) that I bought by mistake and they didn't have chemicals to prevent this sprouting. Let me know if anyone else has an explanation or if you have seen this!






11 comments:

TheLudlows said...

oooohh so creepy!
I've never had tomatoes sprout, but I have had pumpkins growing in my sink. Once at Tech I washed off pumpkin seeds to roast them and I guess a few got away. A few months later I bent down to see that some had taken root and sprouted. They were coming up through the overflow spout.
But I'd have to say your tomato thing is way weirder!

H Noble said...

I forgot about that Charissa! Yikes!

aimee said...

That is weird. Never have seen that happen.

Abbey said...

See this is why you shouldn't eat tomatoes!!!

JNoble said...

Good one Abbey! I will add this to my excuse list for sure. I hadn't thought of it that way!

J

H Noble said...

You guys! For anyone that doesn't know, Ab and Justin neither one eat chocolate either!

Abbey said...

Glad I could have your back J! Us weirdos have to stick together.

Unknown said...

okay, that is just weird and creepy looking. I don't like the thought of my produce GROWING when I'm about to eat it! Yeah, I'm thikning the only way I like tomatoes is in the form of ketchup OR as fried green tomatoes which are AMAZING. But they're fried. So it's more the grease we like, right?

Anonymous said...

that is so freaky. i love it. it could be come an art project.

H Noble said...

Oh, Heather, I would love to see that! :)

Viki said...

This is really weird. Were the tomatoes overly ripe?