Sunday, January 27, 2008

Pay it Forward

Holly and I refinanced the house on Friday afternoon. Why it takes a mountain of paperwork to say yes we will pay, we agree to how much we will pay, and you can kick us out if we don’t pay, I will never understand. It is truly legal and government craziness gone amuck. Now we have two stacks of useless papers in the filing cabinet, one from the original contract and now the refinance.

As is now customary in the Justin and Holly marriage world, any major item is celebrated with a good meal. While driving around in a relatively unknown section of the Dallas suburbs to us we ran across a place called La Hacienda Ranch. It was some delicious Tex-Mex fare. They had a very diverse menu and you could spend as much or as little as you like.

We had Eli with us. He just slept the meal away. Holly and I did what too many fat Americans do; ordered much too large of a plate plus an appetizer. I was still stick to my stomach the next morning. It was just too good to put down.

We were at the restaurant at 4:30, long before any crowd had started. We were actually the only people in our section for a long time. After our appetizer came a couple that were in their late 50’s early 60’s came in. We made eye contact and the gentleman made a whimsical comment to the hostess that I chucked and smiled at. I might have even said “good evening” as he passed by, but I can’t remember.

As our meal was winding down the waiter came by and dropped the check. I wasn’t quite finished with my meal so I didn’t look at it, and I just sat it on the edge of the table. Two minutes later he came back by picked it up and said he was sorry but he needed to do something. I figured that he forgot my refill on my adult beverage.

Two or three minutes passed and he came by a few times. It was clear we were waiting on our check and the waiter told us that the check had been paid. We were very confused. I asked on the house? He said something like that. It took me about ten seconds to realize that the couple in the corner had paid for our dinner.

I ran the waiter down and he confirmed that they had but he insisted that they didn’t want us to know that and to not acknowledge it. I made sure to inform him to express our deep deep gratitude after we left.

I was curious why someone would do that. We didn’t look struggling. We were eating a nice meal. Holly was dressed to get out of the house. Eli was in a name brand car seat. I wasn’t wearing my holey jeans. Maybe they wanted to celebrate Eli with us. Maybe they just are nice people who have means and like to spread the love. May they are Christians and heard a sermon on helping your fellow man. Maybe they just like to try to impress people.

I think they are amazing. I don’t even know their names, but I have prayed for them to get back everything they have given so humbly. I am on the look out for a situation I can do the same. To “pay it forward” and “pay it back” the same kindness that happened to me. How the world would be different if we all did what this kind couple demonstrated.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What an amazing story--i had chills. Our pastor this morning was preaching on how when you think of someone during your day, wonder how they are, that this is clearly the Holy Spirit. I believe anytime we're prompted to love, it's Him. And you are totally right, the Spirit moved them to do this. and what is even cooler is they might've been doing it to impress or feel good about themselves and God works through that still--how cool to be used by Him, oftentimes unsuspectingly. What a great thing to share--thanks!

TreyJ said...

What an amazing story. I didn't know things happened like that anymore. Thanks so much for sharing!

TheLudlows said...

How cool is that?
It's nice to be reminded that good things do happen.
Charissa

aimee said...

What a nice story to read about after a morning where, while running errands, I encountered so many people that were rude, cut in line and were terrible drivers. I am glad that there are still people like that out there. This morning, I was beginning to wonder...

ArmandII said...

That's awesome bro! I have heard of a very simple way to do something similar if you want. Next time you go through the drive through, just tell the cashier you want to pay for the car behind you too. I heard someone talking about it on the radio. There would be no opportunity, or need, for thanks or gratitude. You just leave someone with a smile and a thought about the grace you have just shared with them. God is good and moves in mysterious ways.

Kilroy was here!

Viki said...

Perhaps the sight of a beautiful young family reminded the gentleman of his own family at that point...perhaps, years ago, he was down on his luck and someone else picked up the tab on his meal. You never know, but it's a nice thing to contemplate, especially if you do turn it around and give back to someone else...

Sarah said...

that is really neat! I was going to tell you guys that for your DC trip, you should contact your congressperson to get reservations to tour the White House and Capitol. Also, the Library of Congress is really cool. I don't know where you should stay, but if you don't stay IN DC, stay somewhere really close to the metro...it goes everywhere in the city.