Friday, January 11, 2008

EPA = SUV

While driving down the highway on my way home yesterday I noticed a Dodge Durango with government plates driving in the HOV lane. I ran up beside it to look at the logo on the door and guess who it was? The Environmental Protection Agency Region Six. I started laughing.

How ironic is it that the Federal agency in charge of cleaning up our air and keeping the environment protected drives a Dodge SUV. I decided to do some research. The Dodge Durango gets about 15 miles per gallon. On the EPA’s website [www.epa.gov/greenvehicles] it is well below the top twenty five “greenest” SUVs. In fact on a ten point scale, with ten being good, the SUV gets a 6 by EPAs own standards.

I couldn’t help but laugh. I get grief all the time for driving a Ford pickup and how economically unfriendly it is. I guess I will consider getting rid of my ride…oh who am I kidding, I love my pickup!

7 comments:

Jonathan said...

that is too funny...way to set the example, epa!

Anonymous said...

I'm reminded on Regan's classic quote: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

The government loves to makes rules for us poor slobs, and then ignores them making their own decisions. Modern case in point - Al Gore. "Carbon credits", yeah that'll help offset all that energy he uses in his mansions and elsewhere to support his lifestyle.

Funny post. Thanks!

Doug

aimee said...

I don't think I'll ever look at EPA the same again after watching the Simpson movie. Hee!

TreyJ said...

I love that story - it really puts this whole "green" movement into perspectiv.! And I LOVE Doug's Reagan quote - because it is definitely true.

Viki said...

This makes me want to smack myself!

Unknown said...

We like the everyday stuff posts but we are missing Eli!!! We got hooked on seeing him! Jackson is chanting in the background, "Eli, Eli, Eli!!!"

ArmandII said...

That makes me want to watch Viki smack herself...just kidding it is pretty funny though. Reminds me of how excited I was knowing I was going to get great gas milage with my motorcycle just to find out that when a bike weighs 550 lbs it only gets 35 miles to the gallon.

Kilroy was here!