Monday, January 21, 2008

One Month Down

by Justin

Well we have made it this far. We are transitioning well. Learning the difference between wet diaper cries and hungry cries. More importantly we haven't inflicted any known harm on Eli for a whole month!

I have uploaded some one month photos on the web album link. Here is a sample.


Otherwise things are just going. Holly returns to work on Feb. 15th or there abouts. I have started my new ten hour day schedule. It is taking some getting adapting too. We have made a few decisions as of late. We are refinancing our mortgage into a low fixed rate. We have had an adjustable rate mortgage that has paid off well for us, but now is the time to lock in for awhile. We have also decided that we are going to celebrate our five year anniversary in March in D.C. I have started scoping out the best place to stay and how long we should stay. If you have any beta on the location feel free to pass it along. Lastly for my dad's birthday (Jan 11) I decided I would schedule a trip for the two of us instead of gift. Is there a better gift than the gift of time. I am scoping out a few places but I am thinking Big Bend in April or May is a good idea. If you have any good camping ideas pass those along too. All right....good day all!

13 comments:

Viki said...

Happy one month to Eli. :-)

I lived in DC one summer and loved it. You are sure to have a good time! One of the best things for visitors is that you generally get better hotel rates on the weekends because all of the congressional folks go home. When I lived there I loved the National Gallery and surrounding art museums (all free!). There are also all kinds of other free events all summer long if you're going that time of year. I could go on and on... :-)

aimee said...

Are you taking baby with you? :)

Unknown said...

One quick thought on timing is to try and go during the Cherry Blossom Festival, which I think is in late March, early April. If you go that route, don't pin yours hopes on seeing the blossoms. They're very tempermental. The festival is 2 weekends. The first weekend last year was gorgeous (when we went) but a couple of days later, a cold front and rain blew through. There were no blossoms the second weekend.

H Noble said...

We are going to be there the weekend before the actual festival begins. I am hoping for an early warm up. Our actual weekend is pretty set so we won't be trying to time the cherrys! I heard it is amazing though...

J

H Noble said...

And no, baby is not coming with us. This is our anniversary trip and he wouldn't appreciate the artwork anyway. :)
H

TreyJ said...

I went to an aquarium in DC and was VERY disappointed. The one in Naples, Italy was much better, and that's a sad statement to make (think trashy, dimly-lit and in constant fear that the tanks were going to fail and flood the place at any minute.) It seems like they called it the National Aquarium, but I thought the REAL National Aquarium was in Baltimore.

The Holacaust Museum was very insightful, and of course you HAVE to go to the Air & Space Museum.

Jonathan said...

no comments on travel plans...but, congrats on the one month mark. we also enjoyed the pics of Eli that you had done, very nice!

ArmandII said...

Eli is awesome man! Glad to hear things are going well. I know that transition into work has got to be hard.

That is a great idea for your dad's b-day. I remember getting to take dad hiking at Philmont when I was a ranger. It was just two days, but it was just the two of us and since he had never been there it was amazing. You know how he love's nature. Big Bend is a great idea though! The weather should be great around then and God's creation is evident there.

Kilroy was here!

ArmandII said...

Oh, and Trey's right you have to go to the Air and Space museum, and the Smithsonian. Say hi to John Paul Jones for me.

Anonymous said...

Holly - Eli is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Christy

Unknown said...

Way to go girl for going for y'all! I just finally left Makenna overnight two weeks ago and she's 7 months old! And David almost didn't get me to do that! but I have to say we LOVED sleeping in with no little feet in the hallway to wake us up!

Unknown said...

There's a restaraunt by the Capitol grounds called "Old Ebert's Grill." Go there. It is a place many politicians eat at/have eaten at, etc...very cool, hip place, makes you feel like you're "part of DC"

Unknown said...

eat breakfast there at Ebert's