Sunday, October 28, 2007

Mecca

For old school Texas Tech students, Mecca might just be a memory of a shaved ice hut on the old Brownfield highway. Hot steamy Lubbock nights the first few weeks of school catching up with old friends while chomping on the world best snowcone, with cream, are things you will tell your children about. The old hut is gone. It has been replaced by “Paving the way to the Future” or the Marsha Sharp Freeway project. Progress, it seems, plowed through another memory.

Holly and I try to get to another branch of Bahama Bucks every time we return to Lubbock. Nothing takes you back to college days like have a Strawberry Bahama Rama with cream. Charissa will probably tell you that wedding cake was the best, she’d be wrong. Holly will espouse the glories of the Funky Monkey. She’d be wrong as well. You see in Mecca, or Bahama Bucks, it is the simple that is the best. Strawberry with cream. Yummy.

I was thinking about Bahama Bucks on Thursday of this last week. I though to myself, I wonder how much a franchise costs? I could own my own Mecca. As I stroll through the website I see an advertisement saying “Opening Soon in Plano”. In Plano? Plano, Tx? So I investigate.

Come to find out, indeed there are several Bahama Bucks scattered around the Metroplex area. One is not far from our house in Sachse. So after work, I simply tell Holly I have surprise for her and we take the fifteen minute trip to Mecca.

Our religious experience can be explained by the look on Holly’s face as she spotted the neon lights of that beacon of yummy hope. I got a strawberry daiquiri with cream and Holly indulged in a coconut with cream, of course. We lapped up every bit of goodness and told tales of the old days. It might have been 50 degrees outside, we didn’t care. We closed our eyes, heard Robert’s guitar, the cars honking as they went by and got our card punched for the free one!

Any of our long lost Tech friend’s jealous? Come see us, our treat!

12 comments:

Viki said...

I've never been to one of these places, but your description is conjuring up visions not unlike heaven. Now I'm getting jealous!

Jonathan said...

I can't say that I have a favorite...too many flavors to try, and I'm not done with the testing! To our delight, we found Mecca just down the road in Rockwall this summer....mmmmm-mmmmm, delish!!!

TheLudlows said...

So jealous!!!!!!
We had a Bahama Buck's here College Station, but they placed it in the worst intersection and John and I just couldn't keep them in business by ourselves. Plus they didn't have the cool color change spoons.
My favorite flavor was always the one I was eating (except for pickle- YUCK).
So you all know, Holly and I tried them all!
I can't believe that they tore down the old place. It was always my favorite.
As if you all weren't enough of an incentive, now I have Bahama too!!!
Thanks for the memory.
Charissa

aimee said...

Mmmmm, Bahama bucks. Cherry Sour. The best.

H Noble said...

Jonathan- you didn't let us know as soon as you discovered it??? What kind of friends are you?!

I knew Charissa would get excited about it. I hate that we don't still have the list! And I need to clarify that its White Coconut, and not Toasted Cocunut that is my favorite. Just in case someone was going off of my recommendation.
H

Jonathan said...

the kind full of Bahama Bucks goodness...sorry!

TheLudlows said...

I knew Holly, that it was just coconut for you. I liked the toasted. But whatever kind I got it had to have cream...
C

H Noble said...

The funny thing is that I used to want only Tangerine (which I don't think they have anymore) or Peach, but now all I want is coconut- coconut flavored anything. My shampoo, lotion, food, whatever. Mmmm...
H

ArmandII said...

I know you are pregnant but I hope you aren't eating your shampoo!

When they let us out of "the zoo", we went to Marble Slab! Not snow cones but it was awesome even while walking through 2 feet of snow.

What is this cream you speak of though, sounds delicious!

Kilroy was here!

PS: J&H I miss you guys, can't wait to see you and the upcoming addition at New Years!

Sarah said...

I once tried the sour pickle...it was pretty gross. You know, for living in Lubbock where Bahama Bucks are plenty, we don't go there often. I'm not sure why. but, I agree that the cream makes is soooo much better.
sarah

TreyJ said...

I swear I posted something to this about Cake Batter ice cream, but it doesn't show up...maybe I'm going insane!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm Bahama Bucks! We have one somewhere here in Phoenix, but haven't been. There's just nothing like the old hut. Lots of great memories there! (like when my hubby proposed!) We'll have to tell our kids that where mom and dad met and got engaged is now pavement. :)