Monday, October 01, 2007

Hankie Anyone?

by Justin

When did nose blowing become socially acceptable? My mother always taught me to go into another room, the rest room or at least excuse myself from the table to blow my nose. I was not allowed to simply pull a Kleenex and go to town on my nose. I also was not allowed to sniff it back up either. I was required to politely and discretely catch any drips until the occasion allowed to excuse myself to blow my nose. Is this not the case? Did I miss the change in etiquette or was I misinformed?

Case Study 1: The Man in the Balcony

I understand that the elderly are given greater latitudes. Hey they lived in the great depression, fought in world wars and birthed our parents in the 60’s. They can do a lot of things I could never get away with. Last Sunday morning a man, not that elderly, blew his nose three times during church. From the balcony it echoed all over the relatively small sanctuary. It was always during the critical point about grace and extending it. Was God speaking?

Case Study 2: My Cube Neighbor

The guy that sits behind me has a nose blowing fetish. It actually may be a OCD disorder. He will blow his nose no less than six to seven times a day. Most of the times it is a dry blow, meaning very little snot can be heard exiting his nose. On the rare occasion that snot actually exits it is excruciatingly gross to hear. Never does he exit his cube or say excuse me. I asked, about six months ago, if he had allergies. He said no, why? Why? I know it is just a fetish because we can sit in a two hour meeting and he never reach for a Kleenex (sitting on the conference room table), nor excuse himself. His nose blowing is not picky on the season of the year or time of day. He just has to blow it and it drives me crazy.

Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a room. A rubber room. Drove me crazy. Crazy?

2 comments:

H Noble said...

You are crazy, honey. No doubt about that!
Seriously, my question is does it not hurt their nose to blow that hard? Something has got to be jarred loose from the force implied on that anatomy!
I know, I'll see it on someone's medical claim needing internal nasal reconstruction. Should I pay for that if it was self-induced trauma??
H

Viki said...

I don't mind people blowing noses, as long as it's not repetative, and as long as it's not really snotty. When the girl I work with was sick for 3 weeks last winter and blew her nose a lot it really started to drive me nuts - I had to take a day to work from home. I can pretty safely blame that on my employer though, because if we had paid sick days, she would've stayed home for a day or two and nipped the cold in the bud, rather than dragging it out because she had to keep coming to work.

The guy in church would've annoyed me - seems to me he could've dabbed his nose for a while and waited for a less obvious moment. The guy with the fettish would be smacked. still, I'd rather listen to the nose blowing than sniffling all the time.

Sorry this was so long!