Thursday, August 09, 2007

Mid-Week Questions

by Justin

Why do people finish getting ready for work in the car? It seems this week, while traveling to work, I have run across several people who are putting on makeup, shaving, plucking eyebrows, ect. Thankfully no one was putting in contacts, but I think that is next. Is it really too much to ask for someone to be five minutes late to work of get up ten minutes earlier to finish your face to get ready for the day? Is there really so much downtime on the commute that you need to fill it with “productive activities”, as my coworker explained? This is the same coworker who’s commute to work is all of twelve minutes, if she hits the lights. I think this bothers me more than I realize.

It is August 9th in Dallas and we haven’t had a 100 degree day. This week has been very hot and humid, as the rest of the country has been for weeks. We are actually predicted to hit 100 this weekend. All I heard yesterday from people was how freakin’ hot it was. Are you kidding me? We went the entire month of July without a 100 degree day. I barbequed every week in July and didn’t burn my pasty white forehead even once. It is like complaining that it rained for two months after two YEARS of drought. Perspective people, it is all I ask.

Thanks for allowing me my mid-week vent.

We concluded our Summer Barbeque Series last night. I think they were a rousing hit. Last night was a potluck meal. We provided a salad and some drinks. It was so nice not to have to grill outside and worry about all the details. We played a couple rounds of Pond Scum (a wonderful group game I might add, with such a pleasant name). We communed with one another, which was the ultimate point. In the end, over the course of the summer we merged different generations (from retired to newborns), different groups (church to friends) and different personalities to create quite an great mix. I really enjoyed them and look forward to doing it again in the future. Albeit maybe not four in a row ;)

Make it a great week!

6 comments:

TheLudlows said...

Love the new blog layout!
Charissa

aimee said...

it finally reached 100 here...with a heat index of 110. I never really cared about heat indexes before...now I know what they are I don't really care for them.

And I kept telling people not to complain about the rain because in Aug. it would be hot and miserable and now I hear people wishing it would rain again. People are never happy...

H Noble said...

And they never listen to logic, do they?

J may have noticed more people doing personal hygiene in the car this week, but I have noticed 4 unmarked police cars while driving to work this week. What is that about? Are there more around, or am I just taking note of them? Something to ponder.

H

Jonathan said...

i was quite disappointed this morning on my extended (it was slowed by a wreck on the road blocking 2 lanes and backing things up for at least 5 miles yet didn't make the radio traffic reports!) drive to work because i looked in anticipation for someone carrying out "productive activities" while driving....i saw none! i was ready to mock them, finding satisfaction in your comments...i guess another time!

TreyJ said...

I love the weather complainers. There's this lady at work who comes in after lunch and always comments on how awful the heat is, even if it's like 87 degrees. Today it was cloudy, and she came in complaining that the sun wasn't out. I don't get it.

Viki said...

Maybe the police caught wind of too many people trying to multi-task while driving so they set up in unmarked cars to catch them.
:-) Seriously, though, I think those folks are rediculous. Either drive or pull over and do your stuff...

I've loved the weather this summer. We've actually run the AC a lot over the past week & a half because of the humidity, but haven't had to run it continuously. It's great!