Thursday, February 22, 2007

Healthy Snacks

by Holly

I am trying to eat more healthy foods and exercise regularly, two things I don’t normally relish. Justin and I love french fries of most varieties, but particularly Jack in the Box’s ‘seasoned curly fries’ and Scotty P’s ‘cardiac fries’. (Need I say more there?) We could live on Coke (no diet, thank you) and Sonic cheeseburgers with mayo. All this to say, our clothes no longer fit. And the budget really does not allow for new ones, but maybe the point should be that we need to be more healthy. Hmmm…

So, I have a few product recommendations for you:

1). Pringles has a new variety of chips, Pringles Selects. They are smaller and thicker, with a different kind of crunch, and they come in a bag, not a can. Four flavors: Sun Dried Tomato, Parmesan Garlic, Honey Sweet Potato and Szechwan Barbecue. I am in love with these, although I have only tried the first two. Next trip to the store though, and the next two are coming home with me!

2). Kellogg’s has a new cracker called All Bran. They are little whole grain crackers similar to Wheat Thins, and they are wonderful! There are Whole Grain and Garlic varieties. They are both yummy, but if you don’t mind dragon-breath, go for the Garlic!

3). The Laughing Cow has little triangular shaped soft cheese wedges, ¾ oz size. They come in a round disc and have 8 wedges in each disc. I’ve found Original Creamy Swiss and French Onion flavors, both quite good. Ours were next to the deli meat and cheese cases.

For those of you familiar with Weight Watchers (I’m familiar but don’t pay for their services), you can have one serving of the Pringles Selects (28 chips) OR one serving of All Bran crackers (18) with one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese for 3 points, which is quite a decent snack.

So there you go. Your nutritional tips for the day. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Viki said...

Glad you've found some nice, tasty treats that are healthier. I've been doing the healthy eating thing for so long that if I eat more than a few fries or a little bit of fried/greasy food, I quite noticably feel gross for the rest of the day...only thing I'll still eat too much of is chocolate! Anyway, let me know if you need a cheerleader!

Jelaine said...

I've been doing the whole eating healthy for a little over a year now. I've lost over 20 pounds, too. I actually stopped by Wendy's last night, 'cause I was too busy to go home and had a Spicy Chicken Sandwich and Frosty. I didn't even have the fries, but I felt sick the rest of the night. My body's just not used to that kind of food anymore, I guess. I've been my Mom and Sister's health coach. I just have to talk to them everyday to see what they've eaten and if they've exercised. It helps a lot to have someone you're accountable to. It also helps if your husband's kind of doing it with you! Good Luck!

H Noble said...

Thanks! We've done South Beach before, so I know that feeling of getting sick when I do indulge. I'm not cutting anything completely out of my diet this time though. It sets me up for failure when I do "cheat" and then I feel incredible guilt and it becomes a downward spiral. So... I'm doing much better with breakfast and snack choices (that's when I have the most will power) and choosing water over other drinks. Its more a matter of thinking about what I'm ordering at a restaurant and how I will feel later, or whether that is conducive to the swimsuit I will be wearing in St. Maarten in August! :)
H

aimee said...

Tell me about St. Maarten!!

H Noble said...

I fixed it, but I had to sacrifice two comments. Sorry Ludlows :(

H Noble said...

I didn't think it was that big a deal, and now you've made John and Charissa think we don't want their comments! ;)
H

H Noble said...

Okay- I got the other two flavors of the Pringles Selects and should have saved my money. The Sweet Potato ones were tolerable but the Barbecue were not.

Just thought I'd let you know!
H

TheLudlows said...

No offense taken by the Ludlows.
I did try the new all grain garlic snacks and they are super yummy!
Charissa