Monday, October 23, 2006

Race for the Cure

by Justin

Let me start by saying this: “I am in no way trying to be hurtful with my commentary on this subject.” Let’s get that over with.

If you read Holly’s previous post, and I hope you did, you know that she walked the 5k Susan G Komen Race for the Cure on Saturday. I opted to sleep in on one of the precious few Saturdays we are at home. I also had a silent reason to stay at home as well.

I hate big name fundraisers. I know the the Jerry Lewis MD telethon has raised ‘awareness’ and millions if not billions for research. I am sure the Susan G. Komen foundation has done amazing things, but I can’t get over the meer cost of running these outfits. Don’t think that I stop there. I refuse to participate in ‘Friends of Scouting’ activities as well. Why support the council or national council with money when very little of it, in my opinion, does more than go towards raising more money?

While I disagree with the ‘Wal-Mart’ approach to fundraising I will say that I can see how an event like ‘Race for the Cure’ is healing and helping. Holly came home with amazing stories of survivors, family and friends and those with no direct associations and the emotional healing of seeing 18,000+ people gather to support the cause. She talked of people wearing shirts with ‘In Memory of my Wife or Mom or Sister’ on the back. She was pulled to tears as her work friend talked of losing her Mom and now her Aunt being diagnosed. It was great to hear and see the effect of these stories from the outing.

While I still disagree with the conglomerate concept, I have a much deeper appreciation of the overall effect of the event.

4 comments:

H Noble said...

Interesting that you didn't share any of that before the race... My feelings aren't hurt, and I can kind of see your point, but thank you for adding the positive side of it. My friend was touched as much by me supporting her as she was by the event itself, so if that's all the good that came of it, that's okay. But it did give me an appreciation for people who are struggling with this. I'm so glad that I went.
H

Viki said...

Justin, your thoughts are certainly valid, and I would agree that the administrative costs even for NFP fundraising groups are high, but the $$ raised are far more than that. From someone who's been on the receiving end of the fundraising...

When I worked for the Florentine Opera, we participated in the Miller Lite Ride for the Arts - a bike ride to raise $$ for the arts groups in Milwaukee - each year. For the FOC as well as the smaller arts groups that participated, the funds raised through this event were crucial to our getting shows up.

On a different note, my little sister has lupus, and her initial flair-up hit her so hard and fast that it almost killed her - the doctors said that if she hadn't been in such good physical shape (she's a fencer) it would've killed her but I'm also guessing that without the advances that had been made to that point in diagnosing the disease, she wouldn't be here. We didn't do the Lupus Walk this year because it was the same day as my brother's wedding, but we'll continue to do it and support it in the future - advances in Lupus research could mean the difference between my sister being able to have her own children or not.

So, that's my take - I think that in some cases people may be more inclined to donate if they can participate in some way and these walks/runs are a nice way to do that, and make you feel closer to the cause and therefore that you are making a difference.

Anonymous said...

Holly, I am so glad you got to do that for your friend.

I think fundraising is a way for people that have been touched by (insert fundraising cause here) to actually do something about it. It is a way for them to share with others why it is important to get it cured. I do understand your point though Justin.

aimee

aimee

"E" said...

Here is my disclaimer first too, I believe anything that help promote medical break throughs is a plus, but my question is why do somethings get more attention than others. That being said I know a lot of people are affected by these diseases or virsus and need the money to research for cures but I would hate to play God and say one disease more attention than another.

Ok I hope I didnt offend anyone, if so please disregard.

I am alive in case you wanted to know and hopoefully i can get the Non-partcipative title off my name. =)

"E"