Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Women of Faith 2010

by Holly

Praise God from whom all blessings flow! This wasn't a song we sang at the Women of Faith conference this past weekend, but it definitely could have been. I was blessed with a prize package including 4 free tickets, 2 hotel rooms for 2 nights and front row seats for the conference of my choice in 2010 and I chose the Shreveport/Bossier City conference. I took with me three of my closest ladies, Erin who I always attend WOF events with, my mom and my aunt. We flew to Dallas on Thursday and Erin picked us up for the drive to Shreveport from there. Our first blessing- missing by seconds a horrible car accident where a drunk man was weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating every vehicle he came upon. After my heart stopped racing when he passed us (I was driving), it was about 5 minutes before we found his car flipped in the median. He was okay, probably b/c his drunk body was so relaxed. That could have been us, but God had better plans for us that day.

The weekend was filled with laughter that we all needed, a break from the dailyness of our lives, and special moments of sharing together in what we are learning from our gracious God. The conference was amazing, as it always is, and the speakers seemed to speak right to our hearts, with words that encouraged and lifted us up and showed us the power and grace that only He can give. I won't even begin to pretend that my tears didn't flow freely, and Erin was even amazed that I cried within the first four minutes of being there. :) The praise team was singing "You are God Alone" which just took my breath away. As if the amazing speakers weren't enough, including guest speaker Andy Andrews whose books I highly recommend, we were blessed with concerts by both Mandisa and Nicole C. Mullen. Front row is where you need to be for these ladies! Wow! If I were a person prone to charismatic praise, this would have been the time and place. I'm not, but I did enjoy it immensely and purchased two CD's that I'm listening to even now.

I took so much away from this conference that I can't begin to put it all down here, but one quote that I am holding tight to is "If you are breathing you are still alive, and if you are still alive, you have not yet fulfilled God's purpose for your life." This doesn't mean you aren't doing what you are supposed to be doing, but that God may have a time/purpose/place/person you are supposed to be there for that has yet to come. Wow. We are not here just randomly. He has directed our steps and is with us for each one of them. May you be blessed today by His holy hand!

Erin, Holly, my mom Keri and my aunt Bobbi- waiting for the conference to begin!

Erin and Holly- these smiles didn't leave our faces much at all!


Patsy Clairmont, who is hilarious and inspiring. I'm reading her book "Kaleidoscope" which is a humorous walk through Proverbs and how to apply them to your own life.

Nicole C. Mullen. I first heard of her during nursing school many years ago, when her song "When I Call on Jesus" touched my heart and carried me through those rough 2 years. This was the second time I'd seen her at WOF and I cry every time. The kids are boys and girls she mentors, teaches to sing and dance but more than that, disciples to follow God's calling for their lives. They are an inspiration themselves.

The stage, about 10 feet away from our seats. Here's one interesting note- this CenturyTel Arena is used for their ice hockey team and the ice was covered with rubber mats that didn't quite cut the cold or the melting ice seeping through the cracks! Our floor seats let us enjoy that on a very real level!




4 comments:

Lee said...

I am so glad that you had a wonderful time! It sounds like it was refreshing! I, too, have finally found your blog through Katie's. See you soon.

Amanda McNeely said...

So glad you had such a great time!! He is so faithful! I remember driving in the car singing "When I Call on Jesus," almost every day to nursing school!!

Sarah said...

I'm sorry I missed you talking about it last week! It sounds like it was amazing!

Kelly & Katie Lorton said...

what an inspiring time...glad you girls enjoyed it sooo much!!