Friday, April 09, 2010

Easter 2010- Its more than just about a bunny!

by Holly

I believe that this Easter has been more meaningful for me than any other in the past. Not that I haven't enjoyed Easter's past, or that I don't have great memories of time spent with family, but just that I'm in a different place spiritually than I have been before, and so I was able to more fully embrace the true reason we celebrate Easter. We have gotten more involved in our church here in Lubbock, are working on developing some good friendships and have become more servant hearted, as that is a huge focus of our class and the church itself. And the rewards of that greatly overshadow any inconvenience of the service itself. But back on topic.

Our church had a Maundy Thursday service on Thursday evening before Easter. I've never attended one of these and didn't really understand what it was about, but I did this time. Justin was at a work dinner and Eli was at a birthday party, so I went alone. There wasn't a huge crowd, but a decent number, and I sat with a few of our friends that had come. The point of the Thursday service is to recognize and celebrate the Lord's supper, the night that Jesus taught his disciples to eat the bread and drink of the cup, in remembrance of Him. So after a moving service, we did enjoy the Lord's supper. I left feeling spiritually uplifted and full of hope, which is the whole point of why Christ died for our sins.

On Sunday morning we attended the early service and Sunday School so we could drive to Friona and spend the day with my family for lunch and to celebrate Tyler's 5th birthday. But the Sunday School lesson was on Abraham and how he listened to, obeyed and trusted God's instruction to sacrifice his son Isaac on the altar. God stopped him at the last second, and instead revealed a ram to offer as a sacrifice instead. What an amazing story of trusting in God. Could you do it? If God asked you to sacrifice your only child, could you trust Him? As if that was not powerful enough, then liken that to God sacrificing His only Son for our sins. That's right. Yours and mine. We did this. Wow. Who can hear that and not be overwhelmed. That is the right word for me right now (and yes McNeely, I did borrow that word from your Easter post). Overwhelmed not b/c of worldly pressures or worries or obligations, but overwhelmed that I don't have to worry about any of that b/c Jesus died and rose again, for me.

Thank you for reading, if you stuck with me that long. I did enjoy Easter celebration with my family and watching Eli's delight in finding and opening eggs, the goodies my parents gave him, and the fun he has with his cousins. That's like my favorite childhood memories of Easter. We were always with my cousins and my grandma always gave everyone a chocolate bunny. This is the first year she didn't and although I'm almost 32, I was a little disappointed. :)

Enjoy these fun pictures and see how our Eli is growing!


Eli on Easter morning.

Easter morning family picture.

Hunting eggs with Jared and Tyler.

Jared on his motorcycle and Eli with his Big Wheel, which he calls his 'bicycle'.

Tyler on his battery powered motorcycle.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are you guys going to church if you don't mind me asking...we are looking for a new one ourselves --

Christy

Jonathan said...

great thoughts!!

Sarah said...

Eli is such a cutie! :)

Anonymous said...

This was lovely Holly! You are such a delightful part of the Brown family. From Cheryl

Amanda McNeely said...

What a great post Holly! He is Overwhelming in all the perfect ways! Your little man is handsome as ever!

Kelly & Katie Lorton said...

great post and eli is adorable as ever on his big wheel!!