Monday, June 15, 2009

Are We Getting Old?

by Holly

I don't have anything of great significance to write about, or even have any pictures moved to the computer as of late, so here you go. I was wondering today if I'm getting old, for two reasons.

1. I love my birthday more than most anyone, and those of you that know me understand my celebration of my birthmonth. My husband helps me celebrate, last year hosting a fabulous party for my 30th. June is my birthmonth, so a few days ago Justin brought home a birthday banner from the store and hung it around the office, over my computer. Thanks honey! Why does this relate to me getting old? Because this year on my birthday, the majority of my family will be in North Carolina for a family reunion while we will be here in Lubbock... I will be going to church and then on to a bridal shower that afternoon and don't feel as if this is even recognized as the tragedy that it is in the 'birthmonth' scheme of things. No festive celebration with 50 friends? No every-member-of-the-family-must-be-present-for-cake shindig? Its so sad getting old.

2. We ate at Furr's cafeteria last week when my parents were in town, and picked up a coupon on our way out for $5.99 buffet on 6/15 and 6/16 only, good for 4 people. I've been looking forward to going back to Furr's all week, and tonight we did. I had liver and onions. Enough said on this point.

Happy Birthmonth to me, and to anyone else celebrating this fine June!

8 comments:

aimee said...

you lost me at liver and onions.

hee hee

Happy Birthmonth. Yes, I admit, it loses it special-ness the older we get but there is still reason to celebrate. At least I think so!

Viki said...

We are all getting old but I don't think your examples necessarily relate, so don't feel so bad.

On the birthday thing - one year I had work and then some kind of mandatory fun type of dinner afterwards, so really no recognition at all. I was only 24, but it made me a little sad. That was made up for by Trey - when I finally got home around 9:45pm, he had made enough cupcakes to put one letter on each, spelling out "Happy Birthday Mrs J" + one for a candle. :-)

Plenty of non old people are coupon people - my younger sister is fanatic about it. Over the past year or so, I've added close to $700 to our vacation fund with the money I've saved using coupons!

Lehmanns said...

You are not even close to old. Let me know when you get into your 70s, 80s or so!

I'm not sure about the whole liver and onions thing, but then again I'm picky!

I've never been a big birthday person, so we don't quite celebrate much around here. I've actually had more terrible birthdays than good ones, so maybe that's why I don't like it. Happy Birthday Month!
Teri

Jonathan said...

happy b-day/month...fight it Holly, don't give in, never get OLD :)~

TheLudlows said...

Your post beat me to it. I was going to write and tell you happy birthmonth!
I will celebrate with you in spirit!

:) Charissa

H Noble said...

Ah, thanks for the encouragement guys! :)

And that's awesome on the savings by coupon Viki! I read an article just last night by the 'Coupon Mom' and am feeling more motivated!

Any more tips on that Charissa?

Abbey said...

If you are getting old then so am I...so nope we aren't even close! Hope your birthmonth is fantastic. I miss you like crazy but hopefully can find a time to come see the new digs!

Erin said...

But I'll be there to share in the boring birthday this year so I doubt it will be too dull :)!

I've loved Liver and Onions my whole life so I don't think it makes you old!

I agree with Abbey's comment. If you're getting old so am I so and I'm not...so you're not either!