Friday, April 13, 2007

Imus in the Mornings

by Justin

I don’t know Imus. I have never even heard of him till last week. I am quite sure, based on what I am told, I wouldn’t enjoy listening to him. I do, however, have a problem with him being fired.

The problem I have is the discourse of racism in our country. Imus said “nappy headed hos” or something like that to cause him to get fired. No sooner than he said it did the NAACP, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson were on a plane to protest.

My question is why isn’t the NAACP, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson protesting at the record company’s door step or the phat pharm corporate headquarters? Why are they not protesting the MTV awards show?

The answer is simple, they are not white.

I am sure I am racist in some form or fashion. I am sure that I have discriminatory beliefs and actions. I do however try not to be hypocritical. If they want me to respect the NAACP or even begin to listen and learn about a “new civil rights era” in this country, then it is time to clean their own house. Till then, stay our of mine.

It is time for a change is discourse in this debate. It isn’t white vs. black, cacasion vs. African American or even you vs. me. It is all of us trying to learn from each other. It is about us all holding each other to same standard. If you call your friend, brother or even your mother a ‘ho’ and it is an endearing term, then don’t be shocked when I call them the same thing.

9 comments:

aimee said...

My dad watched (listened?) to Imus all the time. I haven't asked him what he thinks about all of this but I am sure he would agree with you.

I have a lot of thougths on the subject myself, but I will refrain. Just know that I totally agree with you about us learning from each other.

ArmandII said...

AMEN and AMEN Brotha! :-) I've been listening to the talk about this the whole week and I agree 100%. The good news is there are actaully black people out there that agree with you too. There was a well known black journalist that was on Fox today saying the same thing.

Here's something to discuss though. Why does everyone refer to Al and Jesse as "The reverend" anyway? When was the last time they preached in a church? When and where were they ordained? We don't refer to every preacher in the country as that...why them? It has really been bothering me. It gives them some very unearned authority. We should stop it.

Kilroy was here!

H Noble said...

The same with calling Bishop so and so but they are in a nondenominational church. What does it take to 'earn' that title?

J

Scott said...

damn, i havent heard about any of this, but i live under a rock anyway. But from what I read I agree.

TreyJ said...

I've seen Imus a few times on MSNBC, and he's a jackass. I don't think he should have lost his job over this. Suspension, maybe, but come on!

Jesse Jackson was in downtown Chicago protesting in front of the NBC building for them to take Imus off MSNBC, and I was tempted to go stand there with a sign that said, "Hey Jesse, remember 'Hymietown'?" But I had to work for a living, so I couldn't.

TheLudlows said...

Well, we've all said something stupid- (Dixie Chicks any one?), but what gets me is power the media have given this thing by repeating and repeating and repeating it. Let it die and don't compound it by repeating the offending remarks.
Charissa

H Noble said...

I'm completely with Charissa on this one. If they hadn't made it into a big deal, it wouldn't have become one. He still shouldn't have said, but we all say stupid stuff sometimes.
H

H Noble said...

I'm completely with Charissa on this one. If they hadn't made it into a big deal, it wouldn't have become one. He still shouldn't have said, but we all say stupid stuff sometimes.
H

TreyJ said...

The big problem is that if the media doesn't sensationalize something, then they actually have to work at finding stories for 10 days instead of riding something like the Imus deal.