Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Share the Road

By Justin
On my home today in 6 o'clock traffic, on a busy city thoroughfare, I was trying to determine why traffic was moving slower than normal. It wasn't long before I realized the culprit, two people riding bicycles.

Ironically the car in front of me had a 'Share the Road' sticker and waved as they went by. I could have rammed them. For the sake of sharing the road you are holding up the normal flow of traffic. Who came up with the idea that a mode of transportation that impeeds traffic is okay? Who decided that I had to share the mode of transportation built for my truck with them?

So I have been thinking. I am going to saddle up my horse and ride it to work. In fact I am going to do it during the 7 am rush hour on Central Expressway. I am going to pull a huge wagon painted yellow behind my horse painted 'Share the Highway'. After that I am going to get a whole gaggle of teen age punks from the local skate park. We are going to skateboard our way down the two lane Allen, Texas main street during Sunday morning church rush hour. When we get yelled at, we are going to skate our way into morning service, just to see if their is any repentance or just scolds.

So when you hear of a lunatic in Dallas getting killed on US 75 Central Expressway, just smile and think. I guess sharing the road with cars is a bad idea. And I promise, it is... Now peddle the speed limit of 45 mph or get on the sidewalk with your kids, I am in a hurry...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely true. Sometimes you gotta think that they're asking for it.
(Of course, here, we've actually seen horse and cart on the road. But I think they're used to seeing that, so nobody hits them.)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious...I hear this from Clint on a daily basis. He loves the wagon idea. ~erin

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Too funny!! We want advance warning so we can be there to enjoy the show!
Shelli

Unknown said...

I am SO with you on this--i think cycling is great, but good grief--how dangerous for all of us! I indoor cycle and I could never imagine doing it on roads people drive regularly--i'm always terrified these people are going to get hit. One slip of the hand, fumbling of the cell phone, changing of a radio station, and it'd be easy to veer and kill a cyclist--just really crazy to me too that we all share busy roads.

Viki said...

I have a completely different perspective, but I guess we do have bike lanes in Chicago. Were these people really on the expressway? That's a little weird.

JNoble said...

No they were on a city street with a speed limit of 40 peddling 15 during the rush home. I was using the expressway to over dramatize a point!

TreyJ said...

You laugh, but in Naples, Italy these guys would drive their horse-drawn carts down the highway sometimes.