Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Backwards and Forwards

"Life is understood backwards, but lived forwards." - Unknown

Our vision is to be a family that serves God and is free from as many strings in this world that tie us down and limit our ability to react to his moving.   One of the big ways for that to happen is to be debt free.  If you have been around me long at all you know I have always had a 'pay down debt' plan.  It takes focus and discipline to really be debt free, something Holly and I both lack in the financial realm.  Our 'debt free' goal did not make near the progress it should have in 2012, and in a few ways it went backwards.  But I believe that the last quarter of the year really showed us what debt free can and will do for us.  I sense momentum building, excitement birthing, and discipline sprouting.  I am looking forward to focusing in on our finances in 2013.

Personally, 2012's focus was on 'health and fitness' for me.  With a million genetics not working in my favor, I really need to work on a lifestyle of health and fitness, not just spurts.  And if I am being honest there really have not been any big spurts of it in my life either.  I heard a cadiologist make a statement once that heartattacks that happen in your 50's started with choices made in your 30's.  I am working towards not being apart of that statistic. 

Mostly, I am excited to report that I am considering this 2012 resolution achieved!  Sure my goal was to lose more weight and to be able to run that 5k.  I missed my 'goal' number by a long shot and I can't run 5k either.  But that isn't what is important.  Several major victories were achieved.

1. I joined a gym.  I am super self conscious and never more so than in a gym or in a pool.  I don't know the first thing about free weights and I have to read the instructions on the machines.  The guy next to me on the treadmill is running and I am walking and out of breath.  The idea of a locker room frightens me.  But you know what...it doesn't matter.  That guy running isn't looking at me, and if he is he is probably thinking what I am thinking...at least he is here and not at home eating McDonald's.  They print instructions on those machines for two reasons: legal liability and so you will know how to use them.  And you can come home smelly and avoid the locker room altogether; your wife is just glad you went.

They gym I joined is open 24/7 and has a thirty minute express circuit room.  I got up real early one morning and took my time to read the instructions on what you were suppose to do, read each machine, and figure it all out.  After a week I feel in LOVE with this circuit room.  In a million years if you had told me I would like going to a gym I would have laughed.  I really do enjoy the gym.  I enjoy the days I treadmill and just listen to the news or watch HGTV (they are smart and put it next to ESPN so other guys don't really know which TV I am listening to and watching).  I enjoy the post circuit room feeling of alert and awareness.  I enjoy the hour and a half of alone time (just enough for this 98% extrovert).

Now I am being honest and saying I am currently out of routine at the gym, but starting at 6am in the morning, me and my gym are back at it!

2. I got my diet in focus.  Through a friend I got inspired to try Advocare.  Google it or email me if you want more info.  I have had great results.  In a month I have lost 13 lbs.  Not crazy weight loss, but I am more than happy.  I am a size down in pants.  I have lost inches all over my fat bodied self.  Additionally, I have so much energy, it is amazing.  Besides eating five small meals, I am drinking water. 

Before Thanksgiving if you asked me any given day at bed time how much raw water I had drank, I would have told you 0 ounces.  Since Thanksgiving I have focused on drinking water and I routinely get 40-70 ounces a day of plain water.  Additionally, I gave up all soft drinks and crazy sugar drinks.  After three days of caffeine headaches,  I have had zero cravings for Coke.  Pre change I would easily drink 40-60 ounces of Coke a day; more if we ate out for dinner.  I have maybe had three ounces in the last month and it just tastes weird. 

Like any lifestyle and diet change, it has its challenges.  But I am excited to be out of the holidays and get back into routine of eating well, making smart decisions, drinking my water, and having my small meals.

2013 will be the  year of hitting a goal weight, gaining overall fitness (not just dieting) and having the energy and focus to achieve my personal goals.

****
So there you have it.  In addition the the 'normal' resolutions, I would like to get back to my random blogging.  I love doing it and maybe more people would read and comment if I was more regular with my posting. 

I do hope you achieved some of your 2012 resolutions and I hope you set some great goals for 2013!

3 comments:

Jenise said...

Yay for NO soft drinks!! I think it is the best healthy thing to do.

I support the resolution for more blogging; maybe I can see pics of the kids without having to join facebook :)

Viki said...

Good job on your progress - the most important thing with diet and fitness goals is to remember small changes. Sounds like your switching water for pop and getting started at the gym were fantastic progress.

Debt free is hard, too - I'm still extremely proud at not having credit card debt, but since this year my finances will finally be back to normal, I'm a little worried at how things will play out. I'm spending January focusing on being extremely frugal to get a better idea of how the budget will play out. Good luck to you guys, too!

Anonymous said...

Ok...I'm going to be the pessimistic friend that says....SERIOUSLY...what the heck is going on with the crazy thoughts in your head??? Glad I randomly stopped by here....guess I need to do something big before I randomly see you again! :) ~erin