Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Philadelphia

So I am sitting around the house looking at our weekend plans last Wednesday and realize that they are full of chores. Knowing no limits to my desire to rid myself of chores, I decide to pitch the idea of flying out of town at the last minute. Holly bites and we are off to the races to see where we can get too. After some complicated digging I determine that the flights to Philadelphia aren't that full, a key to flying for free! So we make last minute plans to fly Eli out to West Texas and Holly and I b-line to the north east.

I really enjoyed Philadelphia. I love American History just slightly more than Texas History. I also am an immensely proud American and love the utter genius that is our form of government. To see and hear amazing stories about our county's founding and the unexplainable success other than by divine providence, was moving. I have tons to write, but I think it would be too boring. Lets just say that after D.C., I think every American should make a pilgrimage to our nations true first capital.

One of my favorite mental games to play while I travel is the social experiment in my head of "What does this city tell me as a tourist?" Meaning, while traveling about what broad generalities can one pull about the culture of the people inhabiting this city. Below are a few of my observations about Philadelphia.

1. Just like everyone expects that every Texan owns a horse, every street corner in Philadelphia does not sell Cheesesteaks. In fact I never ate one. I never found a place, in my standard milling about, that served them except for a pizza place.

2. Philadelphia is a lot less concerned about tourists. The subway stops were not labeled to relate to local landmarks that tourists would know. For instance, if you didn't know that Independence National Park was at 2nd and Market, you would have been completely lost on the subway.

3. The competition for cab fare is extreme. We could not walk along a street longer than a minute or two (no matter the time of day) without a cab driver honking his horn at us to see if we wanted a ride. Every time we walked out of our hotel the door man asked if we needed a cab. It was genuinely odd.

4. Homelessness is crazy rampant. I was amazed the number of people sitting absolutely everywhere. Dallas has its share, but this was amazing. Not a lot of begging, surprisingly, but still very noticeable.

5. For every Starbucks, there is a Dunkin' Donuts. I mean these people must hype themselves up on this stuff constantly otherwise the economics of it wouldn't support. Suburban Station alone has two DDs and a McDonalds.

6. The subway system is a mode of transportation, not a 'gateway to the city'. It was truly a disgusting place. I really reminded my of Mexico City Metros. The cars were nasty, the stations were nasty and the street level entrances were down right scary. There has been no effort to remotely spruce anything up to make it presentable.

So I don't know what you get when you combine all of that, but I think you get a city focused on bigger issues than tourists and vagrants. Maybe they are trying to solve issues the weekend tourist cannot see or fathom. I don't know, what I do know is that it is worthy of the trip. Just do your research first!

1 comment:

Viki said...

Philly is definitely on my list of places to see, and because of the history. Boston is as well, and for the same reason.

Sounds like a great weekend. :-)